none
has stopped working windows is checking for a solution to the problem

Question

• Hi there,

I have WPF app installed on my machine.. everytime i close the app, it yields "[applicationName] has stopped working. windows is checking for a solution to the problem.. " and after few seconds the message gone.. can anyone please explain what would cause this? i was trying to dispose all the managed resources but still no luck..

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think in Windows Vista/ Window 7, when a .NET executable hit an unhandled exception, it shows like "...has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution." instead of showing the exception message like in Windows XP.

May be there is some unhandled exception when you close the WPF window.

Please go through the following link

http://bytes.com/topic/c-sharp/answers/830409-error-messages-unhandled-exceptions

You may have to write DispatcherUnhandledException in the application (App.xaml.cs) to know more information about the exception.

regards,

Vimal

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by ronald_yoh Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:42 AM
  • ok. But make sure that you run the exe (Release mode) instead of debugging. In the DispatcherUnhandledException event, display the error as message or in a window.

regartds,

Vimal

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you running your WPF application on windows vista machine?

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:55 AM
  • no.. windows 7 professional
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

I think in Windows Vista/ Window 7, when a .NET executable hit an unhandled exception, it shows like "...has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution." instead of showing the exception message like in Windows XP.

May be there is some unhandled exception when you close the WPF window.

Please go through the following link

http://bytes.com/topic/c-sharp/answers/830409-error-messages-unhandled-exceptions

You may have to write DispatcherUnhandledException in the application (App.xaml.cs) to know more information about the exception.

regards,

Vimal

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:42 AM
  • i have implemented the DispatcherUnhandledException.. However the error always occurs while closing the application so i think it does not have a chance to trigger the DispatcherUnhandledException event.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:17 AM
  • ok. But make sure that you run the exe (Release mode) instead of debugging. In the DispatcherUnhandledException event, display the error as message or in a window.

regartds,

Vimal

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:08 AM
  • did you mean the release mode on Visual studio?
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:47 PM
  • when I run in release mode in VS.. the error never comes up.. so wierd..
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:36 AM