none
The Custom Build Tool / General property page is empty (uneditable)

Question

• Hi, I'm using the custom build tool for several projects but for some of them, I'm unable to see the properties under Custom Build Tool / General.  It looks like this:

instead of like this:

No amount of fiddling with my .vxcproj or .sln seemed to make any difference.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi insominx,

I cannot reproduce this issue. 

Please try the following workarounds:

1. Try to disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode” to eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

2. Try to use “devenv.exe /resetsettings” to restore Visual Studio default settings.

3. Try to create a new project, do we have the problem? Sometimes corrupted project settings can cause problems. These are project specific.

4. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Hi insominx,

I temporary make my last reply as answer. You can unmark it if they provide no help.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:38 AM
  • Hi Michael (insominx),

I'm able to reproduce the issue you're describing, and I think it's caused by a Visual Studio 10 bug, reported by Niels M Hansen: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/635294/using-absolute-path-in-clcompile-item-prevents-property-pages-from-showing

I posted the following workaround onto the Visual Studio bug report page (based on a suggestion from John Drescher at the CMake mailing list):

Suppose the .vcxproj file is located at drive 'D:'. Now associate 'D:\' with a new (unused) drive letter, for example 'V:', using cmd.exe:

subst V: D:\

Now open the project via drive 'V:', instead of drive 'D:'. And guess what, Visual Studio 2010 allows viewing the C/C++ properties of individual source files!

Please let me know if this this reply is of help to you (or mark it as "answer")! 

Kind regards, Niels

• Edited by Niels Dekker Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by insominx Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:02 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:57 AM
  • That's bizarre :P  Thanks Niels!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:05 PM