none
What is causing my work item field to be blocked?

Question

• Hello,

I have a WIT field that is blocked and cannot figure out why it is blocked.

In this situation I have two collections each with a similar field (but different as you will see).  The UserStory.Type  is blocked for some reason, the other is not.  Here are the defs for both fields starting with the blocked one.

Blocked

<FieldDefinition reportable="dimension" refname="UserStory.Type" name="User Story Type" type="String">
      <ALLOWEDVALUES>
        <LISTITEM value="Use Case" />
        <LISTITEM value="Design Constraint" />
        <LISTITEM value="Functional" />
        <LISTITEM value="Performance" />
        <LISTITEM value="Milestone" />
      </ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <DEFAULT from="value" value="Functional" />
    </FieldDefinition>

Not Blocked

<FieldDefinition reportable="dimension" refname="PremierOneRecords.UserStoryType" name="User Story Type" type="String">
      <ALLOWEDVALUES>
        <LISTITEM value="User Story" />
        <LISTITEM value="Feature" />
      </ALLOWEDVALUES>
      <DEFAULT from="value" value="User Story" />
      <HELPTEXT>This identifies the type of User Story (Feature / User Story)</HELPTEXT>
    </FieldDefinition>

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Stu,

I don't see anything here that would cause an issue.  Are you sure there isn't anything in the Layout or the Workflow that would be impacting this field?  Usually this kind of conflict is with a rule or layout problem if there isn't a typo.

Ryan Hanisco MCSE, MCTS:TFS 2010, SQL 2005
    techsterity.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Hi Ryan,  Thanks for the input.

This particular field is not involved in workflow and I don't see anything in the layout.  Is there another way to find out why it has the Blocked status?  Seems like it would be great to capture the reasoning behind it being blocked.

As a side note it would be really cool to see when it was marked blocked also.  :( 

I tried to delete it and recreated it with the same results.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:29 AM
  • I went ahead and deleted the field that was not blocked.  Now my administrative report shows that the one I deleted is blocked.  How can something that doesn't exist be blocked?  Strange huh?

So my default collection is not processing the work item info because of this blocked field that doesn't exist now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi Stu,

Can you post the actual error messages (from a popup or from the TFS log)?  I am wondering if this is a conflict in the datawarehouse and that a rebuild from the warehouse service might fix it...  Otherwise there might be data in there that does not match the field.  This could happen if through your testing you have invalid data there or have changed the reporting/ value type.

Ryan Hanisco MCSE, MCTS:TFS 2010, SQL 2005
    techsterity.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:30 PM