Black strip down the right edge of VS2010 window

Question

• I need to check whether I'm imagining something. I've used VS2010 for ages, and have never had this problem before. I dock panes like Solution Explorer at the right edge of the VS window, set to auto-hide. I tend to fling the mouse over to the right edge of the screen to open them. But just today I've started noticing I can't do this - there's a thin strip of black pixels going down the right edge of the window. So if I just fling the mouse cursor off to the right, the panes don't open because their tabs are no longer being hit.

I'm usually quite sensitive to that kind of flaw in an interface (IIRC it was never fixed with the Close button for WMP11 on Windows XP, for instance.) So I can't believe it's always been this way. I did however just upgrade from VS11 Developer Preview to the Beta on the same machine - so is this some bug in the beta version of WPF, or whatever is used to render the IDE these days? Anyone else experiencing this?

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

Do you install any addins, if yes, please try to disable all addins.

Then try to use “devenv.exe /resetsettings” to restore Visual Studio default settings.

If this issue remains, please try to use the use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state. 

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Thanks Lucy, but the issue has now gone after I uninstalled some of the bloat that came with Visual Studio 11 Beta. I didn't get rid of the beta itself, just the extra bits installed in Programs & Features that I didn't need - SQL Server, Dotfuscator, etc.

I had no manually installed addins, so it must have been something that came with VS11. Unfortunately I didn't see which uninstallation caused VS2010 to revert to its proper state.

Has no-one else experienced this? If I'm right, it just happens from installing VS11 Beta after VS2010 (I used VC++2010 Express in particular.)

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Try to check after uninstalling your extensions from extension manager.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I had no extensions installed. Clean install of VC++2010 Express SP1, clean install of VS11 Pro Beta.

I'm surprised no-one else experienced this - are you both saying you installed VS11 and did not experience this change in VS2010? I guess I'll file a bug on Connect, but I don't really have time to uninstall and reinstall everything just to test this out.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

You can submit your suggestions to Microsoft Connect feedback portal http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, Thanks.

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:25 AM