none
Visual Studio 2010 SP1 reapplication fails ("the feature you are trying to access is on a network resource")

Question

• Hi!

Short description: Visual Studio 2010 SP1 reapplication is failing. During installation, I get repeated error boxes stating that one or another .msi file is unavailable ("the feature you are trying to access is on a network resource"). It lets me manually search for the .msi files, but even when I direct it to the requested file (inside a mounted or extracted .ISO file, which was obtained from the Dreamspark program - www.dreamspark.com), it just rejects the file stating something along the lines "this is not a valid file...".

Some more detail & background information which may be needed to determine problem:

• I run Windows 7 64-bit.
    • First (couple of months ago) installed Visual Web Developer 2010 via Web platform installer - no problems
    • When SP1 appeared, installed that for VWD - no problems
    • When learned of the MS Dreamspark program, went to www.dreamspark.com and got Visual Studio 2010 Professional, which installed from mounted ISO file (I used a utility called VirtualCloneDrive to do the mounting) - no problems
    • Upon starting Visual Studio 2010 Professional after the installation, it notified that not all components were up to SP1 and that SP1 would have to be reapplied
    • Downloaded SP1 web installer, which gave me the errors described above. In the installation log, at least the following files were mentioned as failed: silverlight_sdk.msi, RiaServices.msi, Vc_runtime_x86.msi, Vc_runtime_x64.msi.
    • The logfile states ' Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " '
    • Nevertheless, Visual Studio 2010 Professional doesn't report errors when starting, doesn't suggest re-applying SP1. About menu shows version as "10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel"
    • Not sure if it's working correctly. At least it can't open a MVC3 project file I was developing with VWD 2010 SP1 ("The project type is not supported by this installation"). Then again it doesn't display options to create new MVC3 projects either (only MVC2).

Any suggestions? Are Dreamspark-versions somehow different, and would they require a special version of SP1? At least I didn't found any such info on their site or anywhere else.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Alftoo,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

From your post, you failed to update to Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1.

First, I recommend you download ISO files of Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210710

If the error still occurs during the installation, I recommend you uninstall all the Visual Studio 2010 installed on your side via Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility.

Please run this tool as the complete mode:

Complete (VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe /full /netfx)

Removes entire set of Visual Studio 2010 and supporting products, including Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and components shared with previous versions of Visual Studio. Note: may break features of previous versions of Visual Studio or other products taking dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

After you uninstall them, please try to install Visual Studio 2010 and upgrade to Service Pack 1 again. If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

• Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

• Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Hi Alftoo,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concerns, the Visual Studio setup program will install and create some files and templates under your document folder like: Backup Files, Code Snippets, Projects, Settings, Templates and so on.

Second, from your reply, you said The installer did not talk about "roll-back", and the installation seemed to complete without errors. Could you please check if Service Pack 1 has installed successfully? To do so: Open Visual Studio IDE>>Help>>About Microsoft Visual Studio. you will see the Visual Studio 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel and .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel. On the list box, you will see Microsoft Visual Studio <Version Name> 2010 - <Language> Service Pack 1 (KB983509)

In addition, for your previous problem, These prompts for source are most common during rollback on failed install attempts and uninstall since original RTM files need to be put back on the machine and may not have been cached by Windows Installer. For more information, you can take a look at this page: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/03/14/installing-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-may-prompt-for-source.aspx

If Service Pack 1 has not been installed correctly, could you please collect the log for me?

·     Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·     Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Friday, August 19, 2011 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hello alftoo,

Please make sure that the .ISO file you are using isn't corrupted, it would be good to redownload the file to rule out this problem.

regards,

Dylan Meeus

Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hi Alftoo,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

From your post, you failed to update to Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1.

First, I recommend you download ISO files of Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=210710

If the error still occurs during the installation, I recommend you uninstall all the Visual Studio 2010 installed on your side via Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility.

Please run this tool as the complete mode:

Complete (VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe /full /netfx)

Removes entire set of Visual Studio 2010 and supporting products, including Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and components shared with previous versions of Visual Studio. Note: may break features of previous versions of Visual Studio or other products taking dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

After you uninstall them, please try to install Visual Studio 2010 and upgrade to Service Pack 1 again. If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

• Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

• Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Alexander & Dylan,

Thanks for the advice! Have now had the chance to play around with the update some more.

• Downloaded ISO version of VS 2010 SP1 as suggested by Alexander
    • Mounted it to F:\ using Virtual CloneDrive (v. 5.4.5.0) and started setup.exe
    • As before (with the web-installer), got notified about "the feature you are trying to access is on a network resource" (this happened at least for silverlight_sdk.msi, and twice for Vc_runtime_x86.msi and Vc_runtime_x64.msi)
    • As before, I manully directed the installer to F:\[PathToRequiredFile]
    • Installer proceeded without errors (but indicates "roll-back" activity)
    • At the end of the installation the installer indicated failure ("Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. ")
    • The logfiles contained errors for the aforementioned files (i.e. even though the installation quietly proceeded, it seems as if the installer did not accept the files I directed it to)

The installation logs also included some references to drive E:\ (TARGETDIR and ROOTDRIVE were set to it). My VS 2010 installation is on C:\ (a SSD drive), and even though my Documents folder is on the E-drive, these references made me a little concerned whether the installer was being confused by:

• the installation ISO residing physically on E:
    • being mounted to F: (via Virtual CloneDrive)
    • while the VS 2010 installation resided on C:
    • I also have some directory junctions that allow me to keep VS2010 project files in Dropbox while still residing under (E:)Documents\Visual Studio 2010

So I tried once more, this time I extracted the ISO files to a folder in C:\ and did not use Virtual CloneDrive. The installer STILL asked me to locate the aforementioned .msi-files (now it also wanted RiaServices.msi, but was content on being shown Vc_runtime_???.msi just once). The installer did not talk about "roll-back", and the installation seemed to complete without errors.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Hi Alftoo,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concerns, the Visual Studio setup program will install and create some files and templates under your document folder like: Backup Files, Code Snippets, Projects, Settings, Templates and so on.

Second, from your reply, you said The installer did not talk about "roll-back", and the installation seemed to complete without errors. Could you please check if Service Pack 1 has installed successfully? To do so: Open Visual Studio IDE>>Help>>About Microsoft Visual Studio. you will see the Visual Studio 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel and .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel. On the list box, you will see Microsoft Visual Studio <Version Name> 2010 - <Language> Service Pack 1 (KB983509)

In addition, for your previous problem, These prompts for source are most common during rollback on failed install attempts and uninstall since original RTM files need to be put back on the machine and may not have been cached by Windows Installer. For more information, you can take a look at this page: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/03/14/installing-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-may-prompt-for-source.aspx

If Service Pack 1 has not been installed correctly, could you please collect the log for me?

·     Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

·     Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Friday, August 19, 2011 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:46 AM
  • Thanks again.

I have both Visual studio 2010 Professional and Visual Web developer 2010 Express installed. Both of them show SP1 as installed in the Help>>About dialog boxes (both under Visual Studio and .NET Framework).

What is a little curious is that the Microsoft Web Platform Installer 3.0 offers the "Add" button for both VS2010Professional SP1 and also VWD2010Express SP1, whereas it seems to detect many other products as "Installed".

I was also able to install the Web Standards Update for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without problems (other users have reported getting an error about not having SP1 installed even though they did).

I hope these facts mean my SP1 is indeed correctly installed, in spite of Web Platform Installer apparently thinking otherwise. At least so far I haven't encountered any problems.

Thanks again for the help!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Hi Alftoo,

I am glad to know you have installed Service Pack 1 successfully. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Friday, August 19, 2011 3:32 AM