none
How to use the visual studio mysql plugin

Question

• as title, i've been reading a lot of the posts but i just can't seem to get mine to work,What am i suppose to fill in under Server Name? i'm using my godaddy's free hosting account's mysql but i can't seem to find any thing that'll teach me how to use that exactly it just keep saying 'unable to connect to any of the specified mysql hosts' am i filling in something wrongly?

please advice i'm at my wit's end here...sob

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

How is your problem going? I hope you are able to get the MySQL plugin working fine now. In this kind of problems, you can also post your version of Visual Studio, such as Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite and the info on MySQL plugin.

I found the official version of MySQL Visual Studio Plugin in the following link:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/visual-studio-plugin/index.html 

MySQL Tools for Visual Studio is a package that integrates seamlessly into Visual Studio 2005. This package is currently available under a commercial, no-charge binary license but we are planning to release the source code under an approved open source license within the next few weeks.

The package provides the following features:

DDEX capability
    Database object manipulation (tables, stored procedures, etc)

There is the detailed step in the following thread posted by adefwebserver1. Please follow the steps as the images shown:

MySQL Database Administration using Visual Studio 2005

Hope that can help you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you need to open the ODBC Data Source Administrator in your operating system, in User DSN page, please click "Add", you can see the "Create New Data Source" dialog. This is not included in VS IDE but in operating system. I guess this is the Administration page mentioned in your follow up.

Hope that can help you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:31 AM
  • some server's doesnt allow mysql databases to be connected from outside their hostingserver, try installing a mysql server in your local computer and try connecting to it, if no problem, then you code is fine, if you got some problem, then they are fine

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How is your problem going? I hope you are able to get the MySQL plugin working fine now. In this kind of problems, you can also post your version of Visual Studio, such as Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite and the info on MySQL plugin.

I found the official version of MySQL Visual Studio Plugin in the following link:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/visual-studio-plugin/index.html 

MySQL Tools for Visual Studio is a package that integrates seamlessly into Visual Studio 2005. This package is currently available under a commercial, no-charge binary license but we are planning to release the source code under an approved open source license within the next few weeks.

The package provides the following features:

DDEX capability
    Database object manipulation (tables, stored procedures, etc)

There is the detailed step in the following thread posted by adefwebserver1. Please follow the steps as the images shown:

MySQL Database Administration using Visual Studio 2005

Hope that can help you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:19 AM
  • hi thanks for replying,

i followed the administration using visual basic 2005 but i can't find the admin page where i can configure the data source name?

is there anyway that shows step by step configuring mysql  in visual studio 2005 and yea i'm using that and the mysql plugin i'm using is the mysql connector 5.1

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you need to open the ODBC Data Source Administrator in your operating system, in User DSN page, please click "Add", you can see the "Create New Data Source" dialog. This is not included in VS IDE but in operating system. I guess this is the Administration page mentioned in your follow up.

Hope that can help you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:31 AM
  • some server's doesnt allow mysql databases to be connected from outside their hostingserver, try installing a mysql server in your local computer and try connecting to it, if no problem, then you code is fine, if you got some problem, then they are fine

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:32 PM
  • I have written a step by step blog on how to create a MySQL connection in Visual Studio at http://www.devblogging.com/2011/05/23/mysql-create-a-mysql-connection-in-visual-studios-server-explorer/.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:08 PM