none
Visual C++ 2005 redistributable error on Windows 7

Question

• I am attempting to install Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable on a windows 7 64-bit machine but get the following error. 

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32-policy",version="8.0.50727.4053",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007371B. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {66332652-9C28-58B1-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}

I can install other versions of the Visual C++ redistributables (8.0.50727.762) but I require the updated 4053 version in order to ensure that my application runs correctly.

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi bazajd,

Thanks for your post.

Did you use the x64 version installer to install Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package?

If not, you can download the 64bit version and use it to install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)

If the problem still exists, would you please use Collect Tool to collect the installation log files:

·         Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install Visual C++ 2005 redistributable with Administrator privilege (right-click the installer -> Run as administrator).

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Collect tool.

Collect tool: http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967044

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

I hope this will help to solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Hi bazajd,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

I have checked the installation log files, and I could find the error messages below:
    Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32-policy",version="8.0.50727.4053",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007371B. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {51B6FD4C-6551-1104-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}

And in another log file, I find:
    MSI (s) (88:A0) [07:27:28:918]: Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x64 8.0.50727.4053 -- Installation failed.
    MSI (s) (88:A0) [07:27:28:918]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x64 8.0.50727.4053. Product Version: 8.0.50727.4053. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

I've searched the MSDN library, and it shows that:

According to the information above, seems like some of the installation files is incorrect.

Would you please download and install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package from the link below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE

If you are installing the Security Update 4053 together with the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, please download and install them separately.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update

Before install the VC++ 2005 Redistributable, please firstly:

• Turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software during installation;
    • Install the latest Windows updates from the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com;
    • Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation. (And don't forget to turn it on later)
    • Clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%);

And remember run the setup with Administrator privilege.

If above suggestion not work, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi bazajd,

Any updates? Have your problem been resolved?

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, April 04, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I did the procedure as you suggested but unfortunately have the same issue.

The machine did not need any updates.

The first redistributable installed correctly but the second Security Update 4053 installer showed the same error.

Regards

Andrew

Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi bazajd,

Thanks for posting back.

If the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) could be installed successfully, then we can focus on how the install the second updte you need.

I have try to install this update in my computer, and find out it will not generate installation logs in the %temp% folder. Moreover, when I try to run vcredist_x86.exe /? in Command Prompt, seems like it does not have an /log option to enable logging. So we might not be able to analyze the installation logs.

in this case, I would suggest you checking your event log and see if you can find any exceptions that are logged around the time that the error occurs. It might shed some light on this problem.
    For more information on how to view event log, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx which can capture the access log. 
    Filter on the process name (vcredist_x86.exe for example) in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the crash happens.

Please feel free to let me know is there are any updates.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi Andrew 

I have a similar issue with the below errror (Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package x86)

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.ATL.type="win32policy".version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArch itecture="x86"

I ran the collect tool and am sending the cab file to you to the email id mentioned by you , please help me resolve this issue. 

I am unable to open my office enterprise 2007 because of this issue.

Thanks

Ram

Ram ( Bobby)
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Andrew

I have a similar problem. Cannot send cab file, as the email address bounces:

I am attempting to install Windows 7 x64 from new, using updated versions of software used on my still working XP x86 system. XP has been working fine and dandy, it’s just MS withdrawing support that has forced my hand.

This is my second install, as the first had a major crash, and as MS still haven’t worked out how to stop the system restore self-destructing  in Windows 7 yet, the repair functions of the CD proved ineffective. Somewhat ironically, I had successfully installed all the software. It was while adding a new backup suite the system crashed.

The second attempt at install keeps giving me Error 1935 for a couple of programs - Roxio & Adobe - (which didn’t on the first install). I have tried just about every possible fix provided on the web, mainly to do with .Net uninstall/reinstall etc. I noticed the update was stuck in a continual loop trying to update Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2005. I also noticed I had several different install versions for 2008 and 2008, so I uninstalled them and installed from fresh. I now have 2008 x86; 2008 x64 and 2005 x64, but 2005 x86 gives me the same 1935 install error as the other programs. I cannot delete the original 2005 x86 as the MSI was in a temp folder that no longer exists.  The 1935 error has been well documented, and is a known problem for MS. So far I have spent three weeks, every evening, trying to get Windows 7 installed. If I can’t get it working in the next few days, I shall give up altogether and give Linux a try. I am not an early uptaker, preferring to allow bug fixes to roll out so I can minimise problems. With support for XP closing and Windows 7 too buggy, I would have thought these global problems would have been resolved a long time ago.

Is there anything in the cab files that you can use to help me?

Regards and thanks

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:34 PM