none
Problem with Embedding Manifest...

Question

• Hi All,

I'm having problems building an MFC .dll project in the IDE with the "Embedding manifest..." step.

I've set " (VCInstallDir)redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.manifest" as an Additional Manifest File in the project property pages.

My error is:

Embedding manifest...

..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the path specified.

I can double click on the error in the output window and the manifest file opens.  I can open the file at that location from the Windows Explorer.  A search on "general error c1010070" return nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

Dependency Walker lists the following dependencies: MFC80.dll, msvcr80.dll and msvcp80.dll so ultimately I'll also have to also include the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest.

Best Regards,

John

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 3:08 PM

Answers

• So I (partially) solved my own problem and was able to get the project to build by moving the project's location; reducing the additional manifest file path length.  The Additional Manifest File setting was unchanged.  I do not understand what the problem is with the original path - the path expanded to 135 characters and the new path length expands to108 characters. 

Maybe this is a bug with mt.exe?

This solution will not be an acceptable long term fix because this library is a small part of our entire product and I don't have the luxury of moving the project's location in source control.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:05 PM
  • Why do you add the MFC manifest as additional? This setting specifies what is merged into the manifest for your assembly. There is not only no point in doing so you'll also end up with an invalid manifest. The IDE integration is probably smart enough to filter these things out again, but then you shouldn't mess with the mt options.

There's the /MANIFESTDEPENDENCY linker option which is available via #pragma comment(linker). You simply need to include the correct headers and everything should work just fine.

-hg

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:10 PM

All replies

• So I (partially) solved my own problem and was able to get the project to build by moving the project's location; reducing the additional manifest file path length.  The Additional Manifest File setting was unchanged.  I do not understand what the problem is with the original path - the path expanded to 135 characters and the new path length expands to108 characters. 

Maybe this is a bug with mt.exe?

This solution will not be an acceptable long term fix because this library is a small part of our entire product and I don't have the luxury of moving the project's location in source control.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:05 PM
  • Why do you add the MFC manifest as additional? This setting specifies what is merged into the manifest for your assembly. There is not only no point in doing so you'll also end up with an invalid manifest. The IDE integration is probably smart enough to filter these things out again, but then you shouldn't mess with the mt options.

There's the /MANIFESTDEPENDENCY linker option which is available via #pragma comment(linker). You simply need to include the correct headers and everything should work just fine.

-hg

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:10 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I cleared all additional manifests and the application worked.

-John

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:25 PM