none
Question to the CLR experts : fiber mode support in hosting

Question

• Shawn Farkas - MS said to me that the fiber mode hosting feature was removed from the v2 of .NET (or at least changed). I would like to have more information about this because I'm reviewing a book about .NET 2 and the author talks about this feature in the case of SQL Server 2005.

Thx

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:58 AM

Answers

• Yes, fiber mode was indeed removed near the end of the v2.0 development cycle.  The reason for this is that we knew we would be unable to get the fiber mode feature up to quality in time for the Whidbey release.  In particular we had concerns about the quality of fiber mode when running under stress.  SQL Server 2005 will not use the CLR in fiber mode once it is released.

But we have kept all of the other scheduling aspects in place though that allow a host to control the CLR's synchronization, memory usage, perform deadlock detection, etc...   So hopefully everything else in the book remains accurate (infact we only changed one API for this - ICLRTask::SwitchOut).

We're continuing to review some last minute incompatibilities that have been discovered due to this change but most likely we will not re-enable this feature for Whidbey.
    Friday, September 16, 2005 6:51 PM