none
Sequence Diagram, Lifeline

Question

• I've inserted a call in a sequence diagram, so a lifeline is created. 

When later in this sequence diagram another call to this same class is made, a second lifeline is created.

But if this class is static, there should only be one lifeline? How can i manage this?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:39 PM

Answers

• So, are you manually drawing the sequence diagram, which is not connected to the code? According to this topic, UML Sequence Diagrams: Guidelines, you should be able to draw a message from the source lifeline to the destination lifeline:

"To create a message, click a message tool. Then click the sending lifeline at the point where you want the message to start, and then click the receiving lifeline."

For more information, see UML Sequence Diagrams: Reference.

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Joriku,

Can you provide a few more details to clarify your scenario? Are you generating a sequence diagram from code, updating the code to add another call, and then regenerating the sequence diagram?

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:36 PM
  • I made a sequence diagram using the Modelling Project.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:52 PM
  • So, are you manually drawing the sequence diagram, which is not connected to the code? According to this topic, UML Sequence Diagrams: Guidelines, you should be able to draw a message from the source lifeline to the destination lifeline:

"To create a message, click a message tool. Then click the sending lifeline at the point where you want the message to start, and then click the receiving lifeline."

For more information, see UML Sequence Diagrams: Reference.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:15 PM