none
TF82039: Team Foundation was unable to modify the project plan (TFS, MS Office Project Standard 2003)

Question

• Hello,

I am running:

1) Team Foundation Server v1
    2) MS Office Project Standard 2003 SP2

Steps:

1) Create new MS Project (linked to TFS project)
    2) Past project tasks in
    3) Publish to server - success
    4) Refresh and get "TF82039: Team Foundation was unable to modify the project plan"

I have tried saving the MS Project plan to a new file and refreshing with no luck.  I am not running Project Server.

Any ideas?

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:02 PM

Answers

• The issue is with the comma separated resource name, below are the possible solutions and links

The issue is an inhernt issue with MS Project. MS Project will treat “,” in resource names as a delimiter. So one cannot use MS Project to do resource management using friendly names [when it contains comma like <Last Name>, <First Name>]. We will need to use some other identifier to do resource management with MS Project. MS Project uses the delimiter setting from the control panel->Regional and Language Options. Changing the control panel setting for delimiter is a possible workaround.

Another way to work around is to do the following. Map the “assigned to” field to a text field in MS Project. Add another field called “MS Project Resource” that is based of a list that directly maps to folks in the “assigned to” list except it does not include a comma in it. This list is something people would have if they were ever using MS Project to do resource allocation and tracking as it does not support friendly names with commas. Map the new field to resource name field. This way people can continue to use friendly names with a comma, and also get the benefit of MS Project integration.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=277816&SiteID=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=274360&SiteID=1

Monday, July 24, 2006 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Jonathan,

Did you change your MS Project field mapping using the TFSFieldMapping.exe?

I think that your FieldMapping is not valid and during Refresh, it is trying to refresh the mapping of the plan and it is failing to modify the project plan.

I am guessing you have mapped a work item field to a new pjfield which we are not properly handling during refresh. This is a known bug and we will fix it in V2.

If you cannot find out which field is causing the problem, Please follow the instructions in the link (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404687.aspx) to downlaod the mapping file and paste the mapping file here.

Thanks,

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy response.

No, I have not made any changes to the field mapping.  I have attached the mapping file for your reference.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <MSProject>
     <Mappings>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.Id" ProjectField="pjTaskText10" ProjectName="Work Item ID"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.Title" ProjectField="pjTaskName" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.WorkItemType" ProjectField="pjTaskText24" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Discipline" ProjectField="pjTaskText17" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.AssignedTo" ProjectField="pjTaskResourceNames" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork" ProjectField="pjTaskActualWork" ProjectUnits="pjHour"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.RemainingWork" ProjectField="pjTaskRemainingWork" ProjectUnits="pjHour"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.BaselineWork" ProjectField="pjTaskBaselineWork" ProjectUnits="pjHour"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StartDate" ProjectField="pjTaskStart" PublishOnly="true"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.FinishDate" ProjectField="pjTaskFinish"  PublishOnly="true"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.State" ProjectField="pjTaskText13" ProjectName="State"/>
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.Reason" ProjectField="pjTaskText14" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Rank" ProjectField="pjTaskText16" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Issue" ProjectField="pjTaskText15" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.ExitCriteria" ProjectField="pjTaskText20" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.QualityOfServiceType" ProjectField="pjTaskText21" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.RoughOrderOfMagnitude" ProjectField="pjTaskText22" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Priority" ProjectField="pjTaskText19" ProjectName="Work Item Priority" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.AreaPath" ProjectField="pjTaskOutlineCode9" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.IterationPath" ProjectField="pjTaskOutlineCode10" />
      <Mapping WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="System.Rev" ProjectField="pjTaskText23" />
      <ContextField WorkItemTrackingFieldReferenceName="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.TaskHierarchy"/>
      <LinksField   ProjectField="pjTaskText26" />
      <SyncField   ProjectField="pjTaskText25" />
     </Mappings>
    </MSProject>

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:22 PM
  • Hello Jonathan,

The Field mapping file looks normal. Can you please follow the below instructions and post the log file

1. Create a file called 'winproj.exe.config' in the directory where winproj.exe resides (should be in %programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office11 or something similar).  The file should contain the following:

<configuration>
       <system.diagnostics>
         <switches>
            <add name="General" value="3" />
         </switches>
          <trace autoflush="false" indentsize="3" />
       </system.diagnostics>
    </configuration>

2. Follow the steps which is causing the exception.

3. This will cause a file called tfs_msproject.log to be generated in your %temp% directory. 

Please post the contents of that file after reproducing the problem (should contain some information about the exception that occurred).

Monday, July 24, 2006 11:03 PM
  •  Smitha S Saligrama wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

The Field mapping file looks normal. Can you please follow the below instructions and post the log file

1. Create a file called 'winproj.exe.config' in the directory where winproj.exe resides (should be in %programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office11 or something similar).  The file should contain the following:

<configuration>
       <system.diagnostics>
         <switches>
            <add name="General" value="3" />
         </switches>
          <trace autoflush="false" indentsize="3" />
       </system.diagnostics>
    </configuration>

2. Follow the steps which is causing the exception.

3. This will cause a file called tfs_msproject.log to be generated in your %temp% directory. 

Please post the contents of that file after reproducing the problem (should contain some information about the exception that occurred).

Steps:

1) Open existing MS project

2) Create blank project

3) Copy tasks from existing into blank

4) Connect blank to TFS

5) Publish items

6) Do a refresh and get the error

I did notice that the format which TFS uses for user (resource) names is not compatible with MS Project.  E.g., there is a TFS user called "Argue, Jonathan FIN:EX".  On the MS Project tasks assigned to this person, the resource name is "Jonathan Argue".  If I go into MS Project resource sheet and try to update the resource name to the same as the TFS resource name, MS Project tells me I used an invalid resource name.

From that point on, I cannot refresh the tasks in MS project.

Here's the content of the log file:

[Info, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:15:01.625] Managed ELead Project AddIn loaded
    [Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:15:33.562] {

[Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:15:33.640] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: Invalid name for a resource. (type COMException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.Assignment.set_ResourceName(String retval)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectWorkItem.set_Item(String fieldReferenceName, Object value)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectWorkItemDictionary.UpdateFrom(WorkItemDictionaryBase currituckWorkItemDictionary)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadProjectPlan.Sync(Boolean publishToDB)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadProjectPlan.Refresh()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectCommands.RefreshCommand_Click(CommandBarButton cmdBarbutton, Boolean& cancel)

}
    [Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:15:33.640] }
    [Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:19:03.578] {

[Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:19:03.578] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: Invalid name for a resource. (type COMException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.Assignment.set_ResourceName(String retval)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectWorkItem.set_Item(String fieldReferenceName, Object value)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectWorkItemDictionary.UpdateFrom(WorkItemDictionaryBase currituckWorkItemDictionary)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadProjectPlan.Sync(Boolean publishToDB)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectCommands.RefreshCommand_Click(CommandBarButton cmdBarbutton, Boolean& cancel)

}
    [Error, PID 1780, TID 752, 23:19:03.578] }

Monday, July 24, 2006 11:24 PM
  • The issue is with the comma separated resource name, below are the possible solutions and links

The issue is an inhernt issue with MS Project. MS Project will treat “,” in resource names as a delimiter. So one cannot use MS Project to do resource management using friendly names [when it contains comma like <Last Name>, <First Name>]. We will need to use some other identifier to do resource management with MS Project. MS Project uses the delimiter setting from the control panel->Regional and Language Options. Changing the control panel setting for delimiter is a possible workaround.

Another way to work around is to do the following. Map the “assigned to” field to a text field in MS Project. Add another field called “MS Project Resource” that is based of a list that directly maps to folks in the “assigned to” list except it does not include a comma in it. This list is something people would have if they were ever using MS Project to do resource allocation and tracking as it does not support friendly names with commas. Map the new field to resource name field. This way people can continue to use friendly names with a comma, and also get the benefit of MS Project integration.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=277816&SiteID=1

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=274360&SiteID=1

Monday, July 24, 2006 11:54 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same problem and I suceeded to create a configuratin file as described above. I also managed to cause the error but I don't get any log file. (tfs_msproject.log). I've looked in C:\WINDOWS\Temp but I've even searched the whole computer for a file called with that name.

I have a Swedish version of Microsóft Project and an english version of Microsoft Visual Studio but it shouldn't matter since this has been working a couple of months and suddenly it has stopped working.

Friday, March 02, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Hi There,

I am using MS Project / Project Server with TFS SP1.  I am receiving this error as well and I do not have ',' in my resource names.  Could there be something else?  Did the mappings to TFS change from Project Server 2003 to 2007?

Thanks much

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:52 PM
  • Smitha,

I saw your instructions and followed the same to get the error log entry as I am also having the same problem as the original poster. My mapping file is good. Here is the error log entry. Can you please help us understand what could be my problem. I have tried everything I could think of but this is a persisting and frustrating problem.

[Info, PID 2560, TID 2016, 14:49:55.962] Managed ELead Project AddIn loaded
    [Error, PID 2560, TID 2016, 14:50:29.775] {

[Error, PID 2560, TID 2016, 14:50:30.619] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: The task is 100% complete. (type COMException)

}
    [Error, PID 2560, TID 2016, 14:50:30.619] }

Thanks in advance !!!

• Proposed as answer by dididali Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dididali Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:59 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2007 2:54 PM
  • With TFS / Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and Project 2010 I got the same error, the problem being TF82039: Team Foundation was unable to modify the project plan

[Error, PID 7496, TID 7796, 13:52:12.108] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: The view "T&eam Foundation Gantt" no longer exists. (type COMException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)
       at Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject._MSProject.ViewApply(Object Name, Object SinglePane, Object Toggle)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ProjectCommands.RefreshCommand_Click_Internal()

Copy the view "T&eam System Gantt" to"T&eam Foundation Gantt" and then all magically works.  It used to work before the service pack !!

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:01 PM
  • All TFS 2010 project created with Visual Studio 2010 without SP1 and Project 2010, after installation of SP1 for VS2010 would cause  error TF82039. 
    To  resolve this bug is necessary to create Team Foundation Gantt inside MS Project 2010: (Table: Team Explorer Tracking; Group: Without group)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:30 PM