none
Msftedit

Question

• Hello,

i am kinda new into a project, and i need to create rtf help files for the developers. They told me to use Msftedit. Where can i find / or start this program for creating those help files ?

Thanks!

Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:56 PM

Answers

• Msftedit is the native name of the RichTextBox control that a developer would use to display RTF in her application.  It is a DLL, not a program you can run and use to create help files.  Microsoft Word can be used to create .rtf files, I've used it before to type in the help source text for the old .hlp file compiler.  That was at about 8 years ago, give or take.  That's not how you do it nowadays, last time I looked you would create a .html page and compile it with HTML Help Workshop.  That was about 4 years ago.  You might want to look into a tool to get you over this hump.  Not sure what is around anymore, the old names I knew are out of business.  Ask around, don't listen to the developers.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:58 PM

All replies

• Msftedit is the native name of the RichTextBox control that a developer would use to display RTF in her application.  It is a DLL, not a program you can run and use to create help files.  Microsoft Word can be used to create .rtf files, I've used it before to type in the help source text for the old .hlp file compiler.  That was at about 8 years ago, give or take.  That's not how you do it nowadays, last time I looked you would create a .html page and compile it with HTML Help Workshop.  That was about 4 years ago.  You might want to look into a tool to get you over this hump.  Not sure what is around anymore, the old names I knew are out of business.  Ask around, don't listen to the developers.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:58 PM
  • small thing I need to share:

" generator Msftedit 5.41.x.x "

was a string Microsoft wordpad used to sign its documents so you have been using the richeditor in plain MS-Windows, true ?

nobugz may be reffering to the user control method available in MSDN,backin1998....

s.

<body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='tab-interval:.5in'> <div class=Section1> <p class=MsoNormal><span lang=RO style='mso-ansi-language:RO'><a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787873(v=vs.85).aspx">here</a><o:p></o:p></span></p> </div> </body>

• Edited by john wiley Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:39 PM