none
How to Install VS2010 with Business Intelligence Studio templates

Question

• Hi Team,

I want to install VS2010 with Business Intelligence Studio templates.How can I do it?

Will Business Intelligence Studio templates come automatically with the installation of VS2010?

Can you please provide any steps or any links ?

Thanks,

Srikrishna

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Srikrishna,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to apply BI projects from Business Intelligence Development Studio 2008 (SQL Server 2008) in VS2010 IDE.

I'm afraid that the answer is no. Until now, there is no software or update that has the feature of BI for VS2010.
    Visual Studio 2008 IDE supports SQL Server 2008 BI while VS2005 IDE supports SQL Server 2005 BI.
    For similar issue, please check:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlintegrationservices/thread/c28210b0-691c-45ca-9f0c-685b423e881f
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/508552/ssis-vs2010-project-type

For your concern, you should install Visual Studio 2008 to support SQL Server 2008 BI.

I can understand your favor on BI feature in VS2010. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need it and post your feedback to our Connect portal site as one formal way:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:58 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hi Srikrishna,

SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio is built on Visual Studio 2008. It's a light version of Visual Studio 2008 which will only work for BI development.

Whether you have Visual Studio 2008 installed or not, it will be an independent installation.

If you have installed Visual Studio 2008, then you can access the BI studio from Visual Studio 2008 installation by creating BI project from the template. You can also run the BI Development Studio independently and it will result in only BI templates shown rather than all templates as you find when you run Visual Studio 2008.

Currently Microsoft haven't released the version of BI Development Studio which built on Visual Studio 2010. I believe the next major release of SQL Server will be built on the latest of Visual Studio (in this case Visual Studio 2010).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:59 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Srikrishna,

Thanks for the post.

Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) comes with SSIS designer if you have installed SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, or the soon to be released SQL Server 2008 R2. 

First, install SQL Server 2008 (Developer, Standard, or Enterprise), make sure you're including BIDS with the SQL Server 2008 installation, and then edit your .DTSX packages in Visual Studio.

Now, VS2010 does not contain any BIDS components. It should be installed either by future versions of MSSQL or by separate updates.

Hope this helps

Raman Katwal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Thanks Raman for the post.

And I have a few doubt

If I install Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) from SQL Server 2008,Can we see the BIDS templates in VS2010.

Is it compataible?.

Thanks,

Srikrishna

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:13 AM
  • If I install Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) from SQL Server 2008,Can we see the BIDS templates in VS2010.

Is it compataible?.

Hi Srikrishna, YES its still compatible and you can access the BIDS templates and also can modify with the help of VS2010.

Regards,

Raman Katwal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi Raman ,Thanks for your reply.

Raman,I have installed VS2010 and BIDS from SQL Server 2008.

But,I am unable to see the BIDS template in the VS2010.You have mentioned that we need to edit .DTSX packages in Visual Studio.

But I am not able to do it.

Can you please give more details or some links about this,how to do it and how to get BIDS in VS2010 ?

Thanks,

Srikrishna

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi Srikrishna,

Based on your description, it seems that you want to apply BI projects from Business Intelligence Development Studio 2008 (SQL Server 2008) in VS2010 IDE.

I'm afraid that the answer is no. Until now, there is no software or update that has the feature of BI for VS2010.
    Visual Studio 2008 IDE supports SQL Server 2008 BI while VS2005 IDE supports SQL Server 2005 BI.
    For similar issue, please check:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlintegrationservices/thread/c28210b0-691c-45ca-9f0c-685b423e881f
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/508552/ssis-vs2010-project-type

For your concern, you should install Visual Studio 2008 to support SQL Server 2008 BI.

I can understand your favor on BI feature in VS2010. If it doesn't disturb you a lot, you can try providing more information on your concern like why you need it and post your feedback to our Connect portal site as one formal way:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/ 

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. If this suggestion is reasonable and other customers have the similar concern on this feature, they will let us know their comments further through that portal. This would be helpful to improve Visual Studio products.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:58 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hi Srikrishna,

SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio is built on Visual Studio 2008. It's a light version of Visual Studio 2008 which will only work for BI development.

Whether you have Visual Studio 2008 installed or not, it will be an independent installation.

If you have installed Visual Studio 2008, then you can access the BI studio from Visual Studio 2008 installation by creating BI project from the template. You can also run the BI Development Studio independently and it will result in only BI templates shown rather than all templates as you find when you run Visual Studio 2008.

Currently Microsoft haven't released the version of BI Development Studio which built on Visual Studio 2010. I believe the next major release of SQL Server will be built on the latest of Visual Studio (in this case Visual Studio 2010).

Ferry Meidianto | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:59 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:24 AM
  • I am using tfs 2010 and vs2010.  Now I am also using BIDS 2008 for sql 2008 but VS2008 does not integrate with TFS 2010.  Help.  My comany will not allow 2 version of TFS and i would like to source control my SSIS packages, in an integrated way.  I you tell me to do it through the shell or someother too I will just revert to using subversion.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:48 AM
  • We are currently using BIDS/VS2008 with TFS 2010 in our company - so this combination definitely works. Have you tried installing the Visual Studio Team System 2008 Service Pack 1 Forward Compatibility Update for Team Foundation Server 2010 (Installer) at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=CF13EA45-D17B-4EDC-8E6C-6C5B208EC54D&displaylang=en? Note that this needs to be installed after VS 2008 SP1. If you installed the Forward Compatibility Update WITHOUT SP1 it may not work.

Good luck.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Hi I need to get the BI development Studio installed on my DEV machine without having a local SQL Server installation. Is it possible? 

Thanks.

Rendezvous
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi YiChun Chen

I know SQL Server Denali RC has released , is it possible that we use them with VS2010 for BI Projects?

Thanks

Farzad

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:45 PM
  • There is no such option for visual studio 2010 for  installing Business Intelligence Template .

For using business Intelligence Template , you will have to use visual studio 2012.

Friday, October 11, 2013 6:34 PM