none
Creating TFS Bugs via SQL Stored Procedure

Question

• The company I work for uses TFS from a development aspect and MS CRM for their Sales and Support teams.

Our CRM system has a "Bug" entity, which allows the Support guys to log bugs as they are raised by customers. The support team themselves do not have access to TFS. 

What we are looking for is a way of grabbing the data from our CRM and effectively importing it into TFS, ideally by way of a stored procedure which we will run manually as and when is required. 

Having a quick look, we saw that there is the Tfs_DefaultCollection.dbo.WorkItemsAre table. Do we simply need to create the entry here, or is there related tables that need to be updated also?

Has anyone else tried to do this?

Thanks

ISEB Foundation Software Testing | ISEB Intermediate Software Testing | Introduction to Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 | One half of a Test Team in the Company I work for | Learning on the go | Keen to increase Software Quality

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Sjdeighton, 

Thanks for your post.

No, we can’t edit the TFS databases directly, it may cause your TFS Server can’t work normally. 

To create Bug work items, the user need has required permissions in TFS Server.  

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:52 AM
  • First of all, never ever write data directly to a table in the TFS database. First of all it will violate any support agreement you have for the product, second it is likely to break your TFS. And you just violated the support agreement... So just dont to it.

This doesnt mean there is no way to accomplish what you want to do. I would suggest that you build a custom application using the TFS API (and CRM API I guess) to create work items in TFS. You can then chose to run the application manually or schedule it to run automatically at whatever interval you decide.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Sjdeighton, 

Thanks for your post.

No, we can’t edit the TFS databases directly, it may cause your TFS Server can’t work normally. 

To create Bug work items, the user need has required permissions in TFS Server.  

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:52 AM
  • First of all, never ever write data directly to a table in the TFS database. First of all it will violate any support agreement you have for the product, second it is likely to break your TFS. And you just violated the support agreement... So just dont to it.

This doesnt mean there is no way to accomplish what you want to do. I would suggest that you build a custom application using the TFS API (and CRM API I guess) to create work items in TFS. You can then chose to run the application manually or schedule it to run automatically at whatever interval you decide.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:40 AM