none
F# 3.0 SDK download

Question

• Is there separate download for the same version of F# SDK as distributed with VS2012 RC? I'd need not only FSharp.Core.dll though, but also both FSharpCodeProvider functionality and full .fsproj MS-build support on boxes without VS installed.

EDIT: removed question about F# becoming default .NET language, since it's just a wish, not actual question.
    • Edited by nyurik Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:47 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:55 PM

Answers

• With VS2010, we filled this need with the 'F# CTP' release of the open-source tools, which I think included an MSI installer that laid down the same compiler/SDK that shipped with VS2010.  My expectation is that we will do something similar again, with the F# 3.0 CTP being published around the same time as the final release of VS2012.  (The 'F# SDK'  is roughly like having FSharp.Core and FSharp.Data.TypeProviders in the GAC, and having the files you find in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\F#\3.0\Framework\v4.0" and "C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\FSharp\3.0\Runtime" after the VS install.)

Brian McNamara [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• With VS2010, we filled this need with the 'F# CTP' release of the open-source tools, which I think included an MSI installer that laid down the same compiler/SDK that shipped with VS2010.  My expectation is that we will do something similar again, with the F# 3.0 CTP being published around the same time as the final release of VS2012.  (The 'F# SDK'  is roughly like having FSharp.Core and FSharp.Data.TypeProviders in the GAC, and having the files you find in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\F#\3.0\Framework\v4.0" and "C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\FSharp\3.0\Runtime" after the VS install.)

Brian McNamara [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for the answer! It's nice to hear that it'll be available.

For now I just ended up packaging these files:

• Fsc.exe
    • FSharp.Build.dll
    • FSharp.Compiler.dll
    • FSharp.Core.dll
    • FSharp.Core.optdata
    • FSharp.Core.sigdata
    • Microsoft.FSharp.targets

...directly into my application folder and using Microsoft.Build.Construction functionality to adjust the path to Microsoft.FSharp.targets in a project file before building it. It's dirty as it sounds and will probably cause indigestion for people who put together that "Go Live" license thing for VS 2012 RC.

And while I got MS people answering me (yay!), is there a plan to make these a standard part of framework, just like let's say C# compiler is?

Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:04 AM