none
Team Foundation Server installation and VMWare

Question

• I'm in the process of installing TFS in our environment.  Does anyone happen to know if Microsoft supports installation of the application tier on VMWare?

Thanks.

Monday, January 08, 2007 7:39 PM

Answers

• We're not aware of any issues with installing TFS on virtualized hardware - we've tested internally with VirtualPC/Virtual Server, and also use those platforms for demo/evaluation purposes.

Your virtual OS, TFS, SQL, etc. still need to be fully licensed, of course (probably self-evident, but since VMWare hosts are non-Windows, and I think at least some Windows OS licenses cover both a host and guest OS install, it bears mentioning).

Also, if you *do* run into problems, customer support may ask you to repro the problem on "real" hardware before proceeding - especially if it's an issue that has not been encountered elsewhere. Again, probably not a big surprise, but worth keeping in mind.

Having said that, I don't know if anyone's tried VMWare internally, but I'd be surprised (even "stunned") if you ran into a problem. The only caveat is (as I'm sure you know), performance may vary considerably with virtual hardware - even if you use the recommended amount of memory and have adequate disk space, configuration settings can considerably diminish I/O performance on virtual hardware, disk I/O in particular.

If you're comfortable with those (potential) limitations, go for it!

Chris

Monday, January 08, 2007 9:48 PM
  • We use VMWare at my company for TFS instances and have had no problems provided the host machine has enough power.  I have experienced some issues with IIS performing frequent connection resets when running virtualized instances of TFS on underpowered hosts - however VMWare seems better at managing resources than VPC.

Last time I looked, Windows 2003 Server is supported on VMWare, but I haven't seen any official statement saying that TFS is or is not supported - I've certainly not heard any reports of support being refused.

Due to the difficulties in TFS V1 of moving machines etc I think virtualization is a very sensible option to consider - certainly as you start out with TFS.

Hope that helps,

M.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 11:38 AM

All replies

• We're not aware of any issues with installing TFS on virtualized hardware - we've tested internally with VirtualPC/Virtual Server, and also use those platforms for demo/evaluation purposes.

Your virtual OS, TFS, SQL, etc. still need to be fully licensed, of course (probably self-evident, but since VMWare hosts are non-Windows, and I think at least some Windows OS licenses cover both a host and guest OS install, it bears mentioning).

Also, if you *do* run into problems, customer support may ask you to repro the problem on "real" hardware before proceeding - especially if it's an issue that has not been encountered elsewhere. Again, probably not a big surprise, but worth keeping in mind.

Having said that, I don't know if anyone's tried VMWare internally, but I'd be surprised (even "stunned") if you ran into a problem. The only caveat is (as I'm sure you know), performance may vary considerably with virtual hardware - even if you use the recommended amount of memory and have adequate disk space, configuration settings can considerably diminish I/O performance on virtual hardware, disk I/O in particular.

If you're comfortable with those (potential) limitations, go for it!

Chris

Monday, January 08, 2007 9:48 PM
  • We use VMWare at my company for TFS instances and have had no problems provided the host machine has enough power.  I have experienced some issues with IIS performing frequent connection resets when running virtualized instances of TFS on underpowered hosts - however VMWare seems better at managing resources than VPC.

Last time I looked, Windows 2003 Server is supported on VMWare, but I haven't seen any official statement saying that TFS is or is not supported - I've certainly not heard any reports of support being refused.

Due to the difficulties in TFS V1 of moving machines etc I think virtualization is a very sensible option to consider - certainly as you start out with TFS.

Hope that helps,

M.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 11:38 AM
  • We are beginning to roll out a TFS deployment at our company location as well, and we are planning to use TFS in a virtualized environment (VMWare ESX Server).  I do not know if there are any specific recommendations as to having a dual server configuration with the data tier on actual hardware with the application tier in a virtualized environment.  At present we are planning a single server deployment (both tiers) within a virtualized environment.

I attended VSLive/TFSLive in Las Vegas about 2 weeks ago, and I asked this very question during one of the sessions.  ("Is TFS supported in a virtualized environment or even recommended?")  The instructor's answer was, "Yes, and I love it."  The instructor (a TFS consultant not employed by Microsoft) mentioned that he had 2 clients that day who were running TFS 24/7 in a virtualized environment and he knew of no issues.

Certainly I can see the benefits of this configuration helping with a transition to TFS 2008 when released.  The TFS 2005 can continue to run in a session while a new TFS 2008 can be deployed in another session on the same hardware.  (Assuming you have powerful hardware.)  Of course your migration plan would need to fit whatever project plans your company has...

Don Lance
    Schneider Electric - PMC
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:41 PM
  • We were exactly thinking the same. The customer I work for use VMware ESX Server so we are going to install the data tier one one virtualized machine and the application tier on another and then also have several build machines also virtualized. This way they can move it in the datacenter from one ESX server to another as they please.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

We are using ESX Server and one virtual machine with Windows 2008, Team Foundation Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 and another one with Windows 2003, Team Foundation Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Both machines are experiecing long delays mostly during code check-in. A simple one-file check-in can sometimes take up to one (1) minute and other times it takes only 3 seconds. We are only 5 developers per TFS server. Anyone that has a clue why we are having these problems?

Best regards

Lars

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:27 AM