none
Changing the cursor color please...

Question

• I decided to change some of the colors in my visual studio 2005.  I can't seem to find how to change the cursor color from gray.  Also I seem to only be able to set the background color for the text editor part of the ide and not the tool windows.  Anybody know how to do these?

Thanks in advance,

Devin

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:36 AM

All replies

• As far as I know the color of the cursor is related to the chosen Windows scheme and can't be changed from within Visual Studio and you can't change the background color for all the windows.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Yep, it now seems to be a one shoe fits all approach for cursor color - at least when using VS 2005 on Vista.

I like to use a black background with white text in Visual Studio.  However, if you do that with, the 'beam' cursor does not show up. (black on black)

If you change the system cursor to white, then it doesn't show up on other applications (Word, Notepad, etc) which have white backgrounds.

I ended up making a custom system cursor icon (C:\windows\cursors) with a horrible color like cyan which shows up tollerably on most background colors.

This doesn't seem to be a problem on XP, only on Vista.

- JB

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:08 PM
  • I have the same problem with the cursor on vista, did you ever find a way to make it act like XP?

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:46 PM
  • I am having the same problem with other aplications (putty and Eclipse). I looked online some and it seems that this could be a video driver problem with Vista. It's definitely not application specific.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Has anyone seen a hotfix or resolution to this cursor issue? I use a black background in some applications as well, and it is a pain because on Vista the mouse cursor disappears in many cases. I sent the following bug report via Microsoft's web site today. If they don't get it there, I hope someone from Microsoft (or a forum moderator) will forward the following report. This problem has existed for a while.

Regards,

Tom

-

POSSIBLE BUG REPORT:

On Windows Vista the mouse cursor is black when enter windows of some applications that have a black background. When both the background and the mouse are black, the mouse cursor cannot be seen. This happens in several applications which can be configured to have a black background. For example, Visual Studio 2005, Visual SlickEdit, and other applications.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Windows Vista on either a Fujitsu A6020 or Dell Inspiron 9400. (Or use another laptop or hardware where the problem occurs. The two mentioned have been tested by the author of this comment.)

2. Install Visual Studio 2005 Professional and all necessary service packs for Vista.

3. Choose Tools/Options/Fonts and Colors, and change the Text Editor settings for Plain Text to have a black background and a green foreground.

4. Open a source file.

5. Hover the mouse cusor over the source editor window.

Result: Notice the mouse cursor cannot be seen in the Window.

I saw this problem once in a situation where I could turn down (diminish) the hardware accelleration level, however I do not see such a level on Vista. I have talked with others who seem to express they've seen this bug as well.

I have seen this on several different pieces of hardware, especially the following laptops: Fujitsu A6020 and Dell Inspiron 9400.

Can you forward this to the Windows Vista team and ask them to investigate the cause of this bug and post a fix? If they determine the problem is something that both Dell and Fujitsu are inducing, can you please contact those OEMs and help them integrate Vista properly? If the cause is anything else, can you please post a recommended fix or something. Other people are seeing this problem and using a black background is not uncommon and it should work well under Vista.

Thank you in advance for forwarding this message to the appropriate product groups and for helping to resolve this issue toward allowing customers to use Vista as they'd expect to do so.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Hi All,

I think I just found a workaround.

1. Go to Control Panel, Personalization.

2. Choose Mouse Pointers.

3. Select the Pointers tab.

4. Change the scheme to something that causes the mouse cursor to be seen. I chose "Windows Inverted (system scheme)" and now I can see the text selection (thin bar) cusor in VS2005 with a black background. Some of the other schemes work as well. 

Regards,

Tom

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:14 AM
  • "Windows Inverted (system scheme)" actually doesn't work. But "Conductor" scheme does work but it's a lame scheme IMHO. Anyway,I think you can get something visible to work. The real fix is to find out why either the app or Vista (or both) isn't doing something such that all schemes will work. The text selection cursor should be white or something like that in the black window. Until there's a fix, though, changing the scheme seems to be a way to make it workable. I may test by changing to a custom text select cursor within a custom scheme. If you find any solutions, can you post them? Thanks.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Not a solution but some observations.

I use a product known as Textpad, I have used this for a number of years and have been very pleased with it.   I have two Vista computers.  I use Textpad with a black backgorund and on one computer the text cursor automatically changes to white on black background and on the other it remains black and therefore invisible.

The computer that shows a black cursor on a black background did not do this until I re-installed Vista a couple of weeks ago.    I have exchnaged emails with Textpad provider's Helios and as yet they have not come up with a solution but the trail is not dead.    I have also uninstalled Textpad and re-installed it to no effect.

I have tried changing the mouse pointer scheme as suggested above and it makes no difference althought the arrow pointer changes to black with white outline but the text pointer does not change.

Has this been caused by a Vista update although both of my computers are fully updated as far as I know?

Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:02 AM
  •  

I was able to figure this out. After much googling i found that this problem relates to windows vista not working properly with some graphics card drivers. After i updated my graphics driver, the prroblem magically disappeared.

So the problem is not a vista thing per se. Hopefully your graphics cards has an update which fixes this too.

Monday, December 03, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  I have installed vista on my dell inspiron 640m and visual web developer express edition.

I love my VS black backgrounds, however i was dissapointed when the cursor dissaperad when using VS text ediitor.  I found that the 3D-White (system scheme) mouse pinter scheme works, while others do not.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:19 PM
  • You must change the Text Select pointer of the Mouse itself. The solution I used was this:
    1.Control Panel
    2.Mouse
    3.Pointers Tab
    4. TextSelect
    5.Click Browse
    6.I used the beam_rm.cur because it is a larger beam with a white border.  That will work whether you have a white or black background.
    I also prefer a black background in VS, but when I work from home in a Remote Desktop, I could't see the cursor.  Now I can
    This should solve all of your problems.  It did mine. 
    • Proposed as answer by k0ntur Monday, October 14, 2013 7:28 AM
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 2:37 PM
  • UnityworksMedia's suggestion is an easy fix and is less intrusive than above suggestions to change the whole cursor theme. It is ridiculous that you can't set this at application level.
    • Edited by k0ntur Monday, October 14, 2013 7:29 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:29 AM