none
Installing Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to install VS 2005 on Window 7 (64 bit). I understand there are compatibility issues and ways around this with the download of service packs. However I can't even get VS 2005 to install so I can apply the service packs. I'm getting the following error:

ERROR:Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP,type="win32-policy",version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80073712.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Peanut100,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio 2005 can be installed on Windows 7.

The HRESULT "0x80073712" mean "The component store has been corrupted."

Could you please follow the following steps to collect the log files for further troubleshooting?

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VS2005
      (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, May 31, 2010 2:51 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Peanut100,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio 2005 can be installed on Windows 7.

The HRESULT "0x80073712" mean "The component store has been corrupted."

Could you please follow the following steps to collect the log files for further troubleshooting?

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VS2005
      (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, May 31, 2010 2:51 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Hello Yichun Chen,

I am looking for the same answer to this question, but the above addresses a problem with the install for this person.  He had not returned, as it seems.  I do want to know if my Visual Studio Professional 2005 will work on my new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit?  You do say it does, but it seems I may have to do some things prior to and after (I guess).  Do you know the whole story on the issue?  Are you suggesting for anyone else to run the tool when running the install of VS 2005 and send up logs?  I have downloaded the file just in case.

Please instruct me, I would appreciate it.

:-)

░░▒▒▓▓█│BarJabba│█▓▓▒▒░░

My System Build:

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1216387.png

• Edited by BarJabba Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:04 AM Clean up & Affix Signature
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:51 AM
  • Hi BarJabba,

Thank you for your post.

To track the root cause of the installation problem, we need the log files to get more useful information on it.

After we have collected log files, we can try the points mentioned here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/0376db8f-4761-4ae5-9af2-98c53216318a#How_to_diagnoseVS2008_NETFramework_logs to diagnose the cause of failure installation.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Hello YiChun Chen,

I'm having the same isue. I want to use vs2005 because I develop software for a windows CE device.

I have reading this thread several time's, but i'm still stuck.

When I want to start setup as a administrator I get a immediatly warning that the version of the file is not compitable with the windows version that I use (windows 7 prof x64)

So I can't install the other update's.

Is there a simple solution for this problem ?

Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I just installed VS2005 Pro Edition on Windows Server 2008 R2. Only SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 install fails with this warning:

[06/11/12,15:38:48] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64: [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x64 returned an unexpected value. ***EndOfSession***

The overall setup is still considered a success so it seems I will be able to apply the required SP1 for compatibility with Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is the same base as Windows 7).

Soft. Dev. Eng. | User Experience Group | Microsoft Corporation

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:50 PM
  • While installing the Visual Studio 2005 in Windows 7 machine, i getting the below error

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Setup
    Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.42",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070BC9.
    OK  

Regards

Senthilkumar.T

Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:26 AM