none
Reducing default steps in Sign-In process and changing default look & feel in Sign-In process in Geneva server

Question

• Hi,

I have successfully installed Geneva server on windows 2008 based virtual machine. I have also created a relying party application in VS2008 and I have successfully run and  authenticate and get security tokens from Geneva server. 

Now in sign-in process, there are two screens

1. Select Identity Provider screen
    2. Sign-In options screen (Windows Integrated Authentication, Username and password form)

I have two questions regarding these steps (screens)

1. Is there any way so we reduce number of steps in sign-in process? like can we show some default identity provider selected or Windows Integrated  Authentication option selected in screens ?
    2. Is there any way to do some formatting or changing look & feel of these screens ?

Thanks in advance

Lovenish

Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Lovenish,

Customizing the sign-in flow and the look and feel is possible in the Beta.  To customize the flow, edit the IPSelection.aspx.cs and SignIn.aspx.cs pages.  To customize the look and feel, edit the master page in the MasterPages directory.

In the RC release, the customization experience will be made easier and we will have some SDK documentation around how to do this.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Lovenish,

Customizing the sign-in flow and the look and feel is possible in the Beta.  To customize the flow, edit the IPSelection.aspx.cs and SignIn.aspx.cs pages.  To customize the look and feel, edit the master page in the MasterPages directory.

In the RC release, the customization experience will be made easier and we will have some SDK documentation around how to do this.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Thank you for you reply. I have tried to made changes. I have added some required references and build the project. It gives me error 

The type or namespace name 'Shared' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.IdentityServer'  

It seems that I have not added Assemply Microsot.IdentityServer.Shared. From where I can get assemply Microsot.IdentityServer.Shared ? I have .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 on my box.   

Thanks in advance.

Lovenish
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:00 AM
  • To help me understand your scenario, can you confirm that you have created a C# web project in visual studio and added the existing .aspx and .aspx.cs files to it?  I will follow up with the product team to see if this is a supported scenario.

As a workaround, can you try using Visual Studio's "Open Web Site" option?  Point it at C:\inetpub\adfs\ls\ (modifying as appropriate if your IIS settings are different) -- that should build.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Issue resolved. Actually I have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on my machine thats why it is not finding assembly Microsot.IdentityServer.Shared. As suggested by you, when I have opened the website in Visual Studio 2008, It gives me information that it is an .NET Framework 2.0 project. So I have installed VS 2005 & VS 2005 SP1 on my box and then open project by "Open Web Site" option in VS 2005. Everything works fine.

I have customized the Geneva Server's Sign-in process according to my needs.

Thank You for your help. 
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:00 AM
  • Glad to hear you were able to make your scenario work.

You should still be able to use VS 2008 if you ignore the prompt to upgrade the project to .NET 3.0.

I will check with the product team to see if we should change this behaviour.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:55 PM
  • We are in process of customizing ADFS 2.0 login screen and implementing SSO. So, we are facing few issues before we proceed with the implementation.

Questions
    Q1. Can we rename the FormsSignIn.aspx to Login.aspx? If yes, what configuration we need to change, to tell ADFS 2.0 that Login.aspx is starting page or we just need to make the Login.aspx as the startup page and deploy it?
    Q2. What is the Cookie name created by FormsSignIn.aspx, once the user is authenicated? Can we get this Cookie in other application (RP)?
    Q3. In our application (RP) when user clicks on the Signout, we just clear all the application session created in RP? Do we need to redirect user to SignOut.aspx and How can we show the FormsSignIn.aspx back to user?
    Q4. How can we know following types of cases from the below code of FormsSignIn.aspx.cs?
        1. User does not exist in Active Directory
        2. User credentials are incorrect

try
        {
            SignIn( UsernameTextBox.Text, PasswordTextBox.Text );
        }
        catch ( AuthenticationFailedException ex )
        {
            HandleError(ex.Message);
        }

Environment
    2008 Server (Not R2)
    IIS 7.0
    Active Directory
    WIF
    ADFS 2.0
    .NET 3.5
    .NET 4.0

Any help would really be appreciated.
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi Colin,

I have added all the files of adfs/ls to a new website project in VS 2008. I want to make few changes to FormsSignIn.aspx.cs and test these changes run in the debug mode. I have made the FormsSignIn.aspx as start up page but when i run the website it redirects me to Error.aspx page.

Any idea/help would really be appreciated.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:01 PM
  • To actually test the changes you'll need to ADFS installed on your local development machine, "open existing website", and mimic a sign in request.  This is pretty easy to do if you're using WS-Federation.  You'll just have to add the correct query string params to your start-up page.  You can't just add the adfs/ls files to a new project and have it work.  There's logic in the handlers and FormsLoginPage that analyzes the request, checks for proper SAML/WS-Federation request, etc. 

If you're just testing UI changes I usually set FormsSignIn.aspx.cs to inherit from Page instead of FormsLoginPage. 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:12 PM