none
Visual Studio 2010 crashes when building a C++ project

    Question

  • I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate installed and building any project worked fine for awhile. I tried to build any C++ project today (including a new simple test project) and it just crashes when it starts cleaning or building the solution. Other languages work fine, like C# or XNA. There are no errors sent to the screen, just the "Windows is checking for a solution." "Restarting Visual Studio" boxes.

    The only major system changes that have occurred in the time between it working and now are the following:
    Installed Windows Phone Developer Tools
    Updated Internet Explorer 8 to version 9

    When I let the WP7 SDK installer run, it looks like it installed VS 2010 Express on top of Ultimate. I uninstalled Express through Add/Remove programs and Ultimate still seemed to work fine.

    When I installed Internet Explorer 9, it seemed to be partially broken. Opening links in a new tab doesn't work, the tabs just hang. I have a topic open over at answers.microsoft.com, but they don't seem to know what's wrong. Uninstalling it shows that it has propagated the tab problem back to IE8 where it was originally not an issue.

    So I think one of those two broke it, unfortunately I didn't work on any C++ projects before/after those two installations, so I can't narrow it down farther. I tried repairing VS and it didn't fix it. I also tried installing SP1 for it and that didn't work either.

    I saw this sticky, which sounds similar: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/76ef970b-cf92-48a3-918c-d1b34e53521c 
    However, I did not manually install Windows SDK v7, Visual Studio 2010 did.

    The system specs are:
    Windows 7 Professional x64 (not SP1)
    Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP1
    Visual Studio 2008 Team System - Development Edition (no problems with its projects) 

    Friday, April 08, 2011 4:37 AM

Answers

  • If I think I'm reading your problem right. I had the same exact problem. Here is how I fixed it.

    1: Installed VS 2010 SP1.

    2: Reregistered the file "ieproxy.dll" as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983279/

     

    I tried just the 2nd step first and it didn't fix the problem I had. Then I installed VS 2010 SP1 and tried step 2 again and everything works fine.

     

    Hope this helps.

    • Marked as answer by Noxwizard Friday, April 08, 2011 6:39 AM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 5:26 AM

All replies

  • If I think I'm reading your problem right. I had the same exact problem. Here is how I fixed it.

    1: Installed VS 2010 SP1.

    2: Reregistered the file "ieproxy.dll" as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983279/

     

    I tried just the 2nd step first and it didn't fix the problem I had. Then I installed VS 2010 SP1 and tried step 2 again and everything works fine.

     

    Hope this helps.

    • Marked as answer by Noxwizard Friday, April 08, 2011 6:39 AM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 5:26 AM
  • I'm not sure why I didn't get the notification for your message, but someone just posted a fix for the IE bug and it fixed both IE and VS. Looking through the batch file, the component you listed is one of the files that gets re-registered. So, I'll go ahead and mark yours as the answer. Thanks!

    Friday, April 08, 2011 6:39 AM