none
[[ Strong name validation failed for assembly ]]

Question

•  

First of all, I am sorry for posting this two times. I have posted this in MSDN Forums » Visual C# » Visual C# General » but it seems that no body is interested in this subject or i have posted in the wrong forum.  

I have used ExeShield to protect my application. (http://www.exeshield.com/)

- There is no problem when i try to protect Application writen in C# .NET 1.1

- But when i try to protect Application writen in C# .NET 2.0 i get this error

Strong name validation failed for assembly 'c:\lab\xshld875.tmp'. The file may have been tampered with or it was partially signed but not fully signed with the correct private key.

Any help on how to disable the Strong Name Validation ?

Kind Regards

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:23 PM

Answers

• You can do this using sn.exe -Vr. But it would be better to check if that tool can work with the CLR 2.0.

Caution

Use this option only during development. Adding an assembly to the skip verification list creates a security vulnerability. A malicious assembly could use the fully specified assembly name (assembly name, version, culture, and public key token) of the assembly added to the skip verification list to fake its identity. This would allow the malicious assembly to also skip verification.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 3:02 PM

All replies

• You can do this using sn.exe -Vr. But it would be better to check if that tool can work with the CLR 2.0.

Caution

Use this option only during development. Adding an assembly to the skip verification list creates a security vulnerability. A malicious assembly could use the fully specified assembly name (assembly name, version, culture, and public key token) of the assembly added to the skip verification list to fake its identity. This would allow the malicious assembly to also skip verification.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 3:02 PM
  •  Lucian Bargaoanu wrote:

You can do this using sn.exe -Vr. But it would be better to check if that tool can work with the CLR 2.0.

Caution

Finally some body replied to my post  

Thanks Lucian.

Would you please give me more explanation.

Shall i do it (sn.exe -Vr) after using the ExeShield or before i build my application.

Suppose this is my output   MyApp.exe and i want to disable Strong name validation.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 4:49 PM
  • Sorry, but I don't know anything about ExeShield. Using sn you can tell the CLR (at runtime) not to verify the signature on your assembly.
    Tuesday, August 01, 2006 4:53 PM
  •  Lucian Bargaoanu wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't know anything about ExeShield. Using sn you can tell the CLR (at runtime) not to verify the signature on your assembly.

Ok Thanks again.

But how can i tell the CLR (at runtime) not to verify the signature? Is there any option to check on VS

BTY: i am using Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 5:00 PM
  • Hi did u get the solution fo this problem, i am encountering the same issue, please let me know if you have found the solution.
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:32 PM