none
"Unable to determine the workspace" when running most TF commands

Question

•  

Thanks in advance, everyone.

I am consistently getting, "Unable to determine the workspace." when I try to run the following commands on our TFS 2008 Test server:

tf delete $/"CM Test Project/Branch_ProdTest_B" /r

tf merge /recursive /preview $/"CM Test Project/Tracker_DEVA" $/"CM Test Project/Tracker"

And assorted other TF commands.  I opened up Team Foundation Sidekicks - Workspace Sidekicks and viewed the properties on the only workspace I have defined in the Test server:

Is Local:  Yes

Status:  Active      Source Control Folder:  $/CM Test Project        Local Folder:  C:\Temp

I used to be able to run command line commands without a problem, but now I constantly get the "unable to determine workspace" error.  We recently added another TFS Server but there's nothing on it at this time.  We're almost ready to move from our test server to the Production server, and this seems to be when the problems started.

On the new Production TFS server, I deleted all defined worksapces.  Immediately after deleting all workspaces on the new Production server, in TFS I switched to the Test server, closed TFS, closed the DOS window I was running the commands in, re-opened a DOS window and tried to run the tf merge command again.  This time the error I received was, "TF.EXE is not a valid Win32 application".  I checked the TF.EXE file and it's size is zero.  This is the second time in 2 days that the TF.EXE file has gotten corrupt.  I'm not sure what caused the corruption yesterday or this morning.

After restoring the tf.exe file, I ran:

tf workspaces /server:TestServer:

Server: TestServer
    Workspace Owner      Computer        Comment
    --------- ---------- --------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CM     firstName.lastName   ComputerName

And:

tf workspaces /server: ProdServer:

No workspace matching *;firstName.lastName on computer MyWorkstation found in Team Foundation Server ProdServer.

We really do not know why this is happening, and we're eager to not only understand what the problem is but also to get past it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

HR

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• You need to make sure that you are running the commands from a mapped folder, you can run tf workfold to see if the current folder is mapped or not (i.e in your case run the commands from C:\Temp)

if this does not solve the problem you might have a problem with your cache, run

tf workspaces /remove:*  <Clean the cache>

tf workspaces /s:[TestServer] <to refresh your cache.>

tf workspace CM <to see the mappings and make sure that you are in the right mapped folder>

I also see in the details that you say that you deleted all workspaces from the production server, so the output

"

tf workspaces /serverStick out tonguerodServer

No workspace matching *;firstName.lastName on computer MyWorkstation found in Team Foundation Server ProdServer."

is the correct one. since there are actually no workspaces on prod server

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:29 PM

All replies

• You need to make sure that you are running the commands from a mapped folder, you can run tf workfold to see if the current folder is mapped or not (i.e in your case run the commands from C:\Temp)

if this does not solve the problem you might have a problem with your cache, run

tf workspaces /remove:*  <Clean the cache>

tf workspaces /s:[TestServer] <to refresh your cache.>

tf workspace CM <to see the mappings and make sure that you are in the right mapped folder>

I also see in the details that you say that you deleted all workspaces from the production server, so the output

"

tf workspaces /serverStick out tonguerodServer

No workspace matching *;firstName.lastName on computer MyWorkstation found in Team Foundation Server ProdServer."

is the correct one. since there are actually no workspaces on prod server

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:29 PM
  •  

This worked just fine.  Thanks for helping us out.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 2:57 PM
  • excellent.. This just worked for me.. :)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:32 PM