none
Net TCP Port Sharing Service crashes while communicating with a self hosted WCF service

Question

• I have developed a WCF service which is self hosted as a Windows Service in a fully trusted environment. My WCF service is using nettcp binding and I am also using Net TCP Port Sharing service. When I try to communicate to my self hosted WCF service from local PC itself after a long time appliaction gives "service timeout" error. After analyzing the scenario I found that whenever I try to communicate to my service "Net TCP Port Sharing service" crashes. I am also attaching the EventViewer log screen shot which describes the reason for "Net TCP port Sharing service" crash. This is a blocking issue with my service. Please help me if anyone has any ideas.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:49 AM

Answers

• I searched the web for "biolsp.dll" and i'm seeing this dll name related to authentication scenarios, that sometimes make applications crash.

Try to follow the suggestions here for fixing tcp problems with that product:

http://www.ingres.com/kb/article/417166

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    • Marked as answer by Nital Soni Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:47 PM
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:01 AM

All replies

• Did you enable port sharing, it is not enabled by default 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms733925.aspx

could you please provide the stack trace. 

Tanvir Huda Application Architect/Consultant
    Monday, May 30, 2011 6:10 AM
  • Hello, can you provide more details? For example, what's the error message?
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:06 AM
  • I already check the NetTCPPortSharing service, its up n running. As soon as i try to communicate with hosted WCF Service the NetTCPPortSharing service crashes.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please provide answers for the following questions:

1. Have you checked event logs?

2. Have you tried your code on another machine?

3. Did you try disabling firewall?

4. Which operating system are you using?

5. Are you able to communicate with your service without using the port sharing?

6. Have you tried turnning on tracing for your service? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms733025.aspx

Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Would be helfpul to see an error.

If your hosting in IIS use a different port for http to nettcp, and ensure you have allowed the net.tcp as an allowed protocol advanced settings. Also that it's bound net.tcp:* too.

A common cause for NetTCPPortSharing service to fall over is when another service is already bound to the port.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Hello,

Here is the full story....

I have a client / server application, where client in desktop application(build in WPF) & Server is WCF Application hosted in Windows service. I have multiple WCF Services (different for each module). So rather than hosting every service individually, i have shared a common port (9005) for all services. Now all services are hosted in single Windows Service. Also our application installer enables the NetTCPPortSharing service (as it is being used).

Now everything is working fine in 99% of the installations. But recently i have got couple of complains from some customers that they couldn't login to the application. Upon checking the Victim PC, i found when user try to login (Client sending request to Server for login) the NetTCPPortSharing service crashed. I start the NetTCPPortSharing service again & tried to login, but it result the same (NetTCPPortSharing crash). I check my service is still running, but NetTCPPortSharing service crashed. I have observed this behavior only on 2 PCs so far (out of 1000 installations).

Victim PC configuration is Windows XP (sp3).

Additional Information

Now here is the information i have captured, upon hitting the issue....

Event Viewer --> Security Log --> Description

"The Net. TCP Port Sharing Service service is terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The Following corrective actions will be take in 120000 milliseconds : Restart the service. "

Event Viewer --> Application log --> Description

"Faulting application smsvchost.exe, version 3.0.4506.2512, stamp 488f11e2 faulting mode biolsp.dll, version 1.4.0.99, stamp 45c16957 debug? 0, fault address 0x000022D"

Now i have no idea what is causing the crash. In googling i found similar problem, where "bmnet.dll" was culprit. But in my case there is no 'bmnet.dll' installed on PC (i search it all over the PC).

I really appreciate, if someone can comes to rescue :)

Thanks in advance........

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hello,

I have a client / server application, where client in desktop application(build in WPF) & Server is WCF Application hosted in Windows service. I have multiple WCF Services (different for each module). So rather than hosting every service individually, i have shared a common port (9005) for all services. Now all services are hosted in single Windows Service. Also our application installer enables the NetTCPPortSharing service (as it is being used).

Now everything is working fine in 99% of the installations. But recently i have got couple of complains from some customers that they couldn't login to the application. Upon checking the Victim PC, i found when user try to login (Client sending request to Server for login) the NetTCPPortSharing service crashed. I start the NetTCPPortSharing service again & tried to login, but it result the same (NetTCPPortSharing crash). I check my service is still running, but NetTCPPortSharing service crashed. I have observed this behavior only on 2 PCs so far (out of 1000 installations).

Additional Information

"The Net. TCP Port Sharing Service service is terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The Following corrective actions will be take in 120000 milliseconds : Restart the service. "

"Faulting application smsvchost.exe, version 3.0.4506.2512, stamp 488f11e2 faulting mode biolsp.dll, version 1.4.0.99, stamp 45c16957 debug? 0, fault address 0x000022D"

Now i have no idea what is causing the crash. In googling i found similar problem, where "bmnet.dll" was culprit. But in my case there is no 'bmnet.dll' installed on PC (i search it all over the PC).

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hello,

Additional Information

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hello,

Additional Information

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:15 PM
  • I searched the web for "biolsp.dll" and i'm seeing this dll name related to authentication scenarios, that sometimes make applications crash.

Try to follow the suggestions here for fixing tcp problems with that product:

http://www.ingres.com/kb/article/417166

• Marked as answer by Nital Soni Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:47 PM
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Thanks a Million, Billion, Trillion & so on ...... That works like a Charm....

I appreciate your help.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Here is working net.tcp port sharing service host class, contained in a windows service. 

http://softwarebykarl.wordpress.com/wcf-shared-tcp-port-in-code/

Enjoy

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:52 PM