none
Do I need to install the driver for certain POS printer?

Question

• Our clients are using different POS printers.  Currently they use our standard ways for printing in POS printer from our software.  But we want to use the POS for .NET for printing and other things.  But I am wondering if they need different drivers? For example, I found out that the POS for .NET cannot find the PosPrinter device, eventhough I have the Samsung Bixolon 350 printer attached and I can print using the standard methods.

I have even installed the OPOS printer driver for the BIXOLON SRP-350plus, but still the PosExplorer cannot find it and when I call its method GetDevice(DeviceType.PosPrinter) it returns null or the simulator. When I do GetDevices() method to get all the devices it only gives me a collection of simulated devices, eventhough I have a barcode scanner and the printer attached and both are attached using the USB.

What could be wrong?!

My OS is Windows 2003 server!

• Edited by Mike9990 Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:20 PM Modification
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:22 PM

Answers

• Out of curiosity, did the OPOS printer driver setup a registry key under: HKLM\SOFTWARE\OLEforRetail\ServiceOPOS (\<type>\<device>)?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:10 PM
    Answerer
  • The missing registry key might be the reason why the printer isn't showing up for POS for .NET. Looking at teh manufacturer website, BIXOLON calls out Monroe Consulting Services. You might want to check with MCS to see if they have a solution to link to POS for .NET: http://monroecs.com/opos.htm

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Check out my response to Jonsie Quoa.

I think that Microsoft POS for .Net needs to be installed first ... so maybe a reinstall of the Bixolon drivers would be a solution.

Just a thought.

Burnie
    Monday, March 01, 2010 1:54 AM
  • How can I find Jonsie Quoa link?
    Also, I have Unistalled/installed these twice.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:58 AM
  • It's really not important to find the link (I basically said the same thing anyway) ... but it's 3 or posts away from your post.

Sorry that the reinstall didn't help. Sometimes this POS for .net stuff will drive you crazy!

Burnie
    Monday, March 01, 2010 2:33 PM
  • One problem is that the Scanner does not have any driver, so it should at least find the scanner.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 4:40 PM

• Out of curiosity, did the OPOS printer driver setup a registry key under: HKLM\SOFTWARE\OLEforRetail\ServiceOPOS (\<type>\<device>)?

-Sean

Monday, March 01, 2010 5:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Unfortuately not. Only there is one key called RMS.OPOS.PinPad.RmsPinPad1000 which is shown using GetDevices. 
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:27 PM
  • The missing registry key might be the reason why the printer isn't showing up for POS for .NET. Looking at teh manufacturer website, BIXOLON calls out Monroe Consulting Services. You might want to check with MCS to see if they have a solution to link to POS for .NET: http://monroecs.com/opos.htm

-Sean

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Have you managed to solve this ?

Since you have installed the OPOS drivers it should work... but if you also have a Windows printer driver installed for the same printer (which I assume you do, as you mention it works when printing the 'standard' way), so you need to uninstall that printer driver as well. There may (or may not) also be an application provided by Samsung with the OPOS drivers that you need to run to configure the printer before it will be found (Epson have one of these, but not everyone does).

The scanner will still require a driver, although the Microsoft Sample one might work.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:51 AM
    Answerer

• Out of curiosity, did the OPOS printer driver setup a registry key under: HKLM\SOFTWARE\OLEforRetail\ServiceOPOS (\<TYPE>\<DEVICE>)?

-Sean
    </DEVICE></TYPE>

ww.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step

Thanks for your answer! This is just what I need now.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:19 PM