none
What is the difference between a Column Layout Group and a Table Layout Group?

Question

• What is the difference between a Column Layout Group and a Table Layout Group?

Both types of Groups seem to give me the same results.

How do I setup a fixed Grid "like" display in a Modal Window Picker that has mulitple columns?   A header should only display at the top of the MWP - not on every row.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Garth,

Sheel gives a bit of an explanation in this post, Tips and Tricks for Using the Screen Designer, if you haven't seen it already.

Using the Columns Layout

The columns layout behaves similarly to the Rows Layout. Instead of dividing available space into a set of rows, it will divide it into columns. The Horizontal Alignment and Widthproperties behave similarly to Vertical Alignment and Height.

Using the Table Layout

Many layouts can be created with a combination of the Rows Layout and Columns Layout. For example, the List and Details screen uses the Columns Layout as its root. This Columns Layout contains two children - and therefore has two columns which are Rows Layouts.

Plus he gives s few examples of using the Table Layout as well.

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:32 AM

All replies

• "Column Row Group" - I'm not quite sure what you are refering to here. There is not control with this name. And when you say "Table Group", you mean Table Layout, correct?

"How do I setup a fixed Grid display in a Modal Window Picker that has mulitple columns? A header should only display at the top of the MWP - not on every row."

The Modal Window Picker has not been changed to support this scenario. I'm not sure if you had logged this as a feature request on the Connect website, but please do if you have not. Also, please do not group unrelated questions into the same thread. It's easy to miss them and harder for other forum members to find answers and contribute.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Sorry, Column Layout Group and Table Layout Group.

This is related to the question as it is the scenario using either a Column Layout Group or Table Layout Group. 

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Hi Garth,

Sheel gives a bit of an explanation in this post, Tips and Tricks for Using the Screen Designer, if you haven't seen it already.

Using the Columns Layout

The columns layout behaves similarly to the Rows Layout. Instead of dividing available space into a set of rows, it will divide it into columns. The Horizontal Alignment and Widthproperties behave similarly to Vertical Alignment and Height.

Using the Table Layout

Many layouts can be created with a combination of the Rows Layout and Columns Layout. For example, the List and Details screen uses the Columns Layout as its root. This Columns Layout contains two children - and therefore has two columns which are Rows Layouts.

Plus he gives s few examples of using the Table Layout as well.

Yann

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Yann, thank you.  I did not read all the way through Sheel's blog when it was written.  I wish I had.  Sheel explains the Table Layout in this document. 

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:00 PM
  • You're welcome!

Yann

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:51 PM