none
Where is the C# API?

Answers

All replies

• Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:22 PM
  • I still wish they had a pure API set up for C# just like they do for Java http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/index.html where you have a frame set up with all your packages in the top left and a COMPLETE list of every class below in the left hand side and then of course the api documentation on the right.

It's so frustrating when you are new and you want to look up API information for a class and you are then forced to use the MSDN search only to often  get a bunch of search results not even related to the C# API information.  It would be so much faster to have a way to jump right to the class name your are interested in.

Side note: It's also horrible that MS won't create a left-side navigation system at the MSDN library http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/  that works in other browsers other than IE. I'm sure it was apparent from day one that the hierarchy navigation wasn't going to work well outside of IE, and yet it is intentionally left as it is. 
    Thursday, November 03, 2005 2:54 AM
  • You find the same under that MSDN link. Left on the screen are .NET-"packages" and classes. Right - documentation.
    Go to ".NET reference", you'll find the C# api and .net framework classes.

PS: it works in all browsers AFAIK, but yes, only IE provides the full experience ;)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:16 AM
  •  Konstantin Gonikman wrote:
    You find the same under that MSDN link. Left on the screen are .NET-"packages" and classes. Right - documentation.

Go to ".NET reference", you'll find the C# api and .net framework classes.

Can you explain more what you are referring to (possibly a direct link)? I still do not see a way to get a list of all classes listed alphabetically. I see a way to get a list of packages http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/cpref_start.asp, but that is not nearly as nice as being able to quickly find a class that you want when all you know is the Class name. Where is this list of all classes independent of having to know what package it belongs to? Maybe it's there somewhere but I'm having a difficult time finding it.

Konstantin Gonikman wrote:
    PS: it works in all browsers AFAIK, but yes, only IE provides the full experience ;)

Well, I consider it NOT working, when the tree on the left does not expand into a hierachal structure in Firefox or Opera. What is annoying is that the web developers know they can easily fix this, since it is not that difficult to create a cross-browser standard tree hierarchy, so all I can gather is that MS purposely not addressing it. Very lame in my opinion. I can see if it was some awesome activeX control that provided some great user experience.. but this is basic DHTML stuff.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:15 PM
  • ok, there's no list of ALL classes, you can get only hierechy of packages with classes. You can find a specific class only through a search mask. There's also an offline version of MSDN library (not for free), where you can do quick searches without a problem.

About other browsers - I think it's not the impossibility of MS to do that. It goes more to the politics of company...

After all I think it's a matter of taste of every person what he/she likes. A time ago I loved JavaAPI and just couldn't get it right with MSDN, like you do. But now it seems for me far more comfortable...
    Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:56 PM
  • hi all,

i'm new to c#. i have the same problem. how do i find the classes i need in MSDN???

thx
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:29 AM