none
Unable to install .NET Framework 3.5 - Error 1603

General discussion

• Hello,

When I attempt to install the Full Redist .NET Framework 3.5 (Vista x86) I encounter the following error message:
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

I Took the following steps to try and fix the issue:
    - Downloaded the .NET framework cleanup tool and used it to remove all version of .NET framework, rebooted the workstation and the problem persists.

Could you please help me resolve the issue?

Thank you,
    D
    • Edited by Derek D Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:34 PM
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, July 31, 2009 3:27 AM Do not follow up
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

• Most of the time I get this error when Windows Update is updating in the background, and the fix for that is to just wait until all the updates get installed and restart the computer.  Sometimes you can get this error if you interrupt the installation the first time you tried to install it.  If so, I would run CCleaner to clean out temporary files, and then I would run the installation, run the .NET Framework cleanup tool, then reboot and try to install it again and see if it works.

If the problem still persists or you need help clarifying some step let me know.

Joseph

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Hi Derek D,

Can you please provide the information of Windows version? Is your Vista with SP1, SP2 or no service pack?

Could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 3.5 from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Download .NET Framework 3.5 full package
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 (Full Package) (Please run the installer as Administrator)

- Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, July 24, 2009 8:30 AM typo
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:18 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

I have uploaded the logs to: http://cid-ffe3e1dd86b8c9bd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/vslogs.cab

Could you please review the logs and advise what would be my next steps?

Thanks,
    D
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hi Derek D,

Sorry for delay. Thank you for your information. :)

Let's try the next step for further troubleshooting.

.Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are installed as OS components on Windows Vista.
    Please use Verification Tool  to verify .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 27, 2009 6:09 AM link
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Thank you for your note.  I ran the verification tool and it found some errors.  The verification tool was unable to fix all errors.  I tried re-installing .NET via program and features and unchecking the .NET 3.0 windows component and it failed to uninstall properly.

How do I re-install .NET on a Vista machine without going through Programs and Features?

Thanks,
    D
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:44 PM
  • You can use the .NET Framework cleanup tool to remove what will not uninstall from Programs and Features. Download it from here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

Then download the .NET 3.5 SP1 again, and see if it installs properly.

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Hi Derek D,

Thank you for your information.

More clarification:
    Which .NET Framework failed to verify? .NET 2.0 or 3.0?

It seems that .NET 2.0 or 3.0 is corrupted on your Vista.

Please turn on .NET Framework 3.0 features via program and features. Then you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Then try downloading and installing .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) (Please run the installer as Administrator ) . If any error occurs during the installation, please collect the log files again and post the link here.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:26 AM typo
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hi Derek D,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:27 AM