none
Package Load Failure - Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.HatPackage

Question

•  

We've been running Beta 3 of TFS happily for a few weeks.

This week we upgraded our servers, first to Beta 3 Refresh - all ok.

We then decided to upgrade to the latest CR.

However, when we use Team Explorer on our client machines, we now get this message when we start VS2005:

Package Load Failure: Package 'team foundation server provider stub package' has failed to load properly (GUID = {D79B7E0A-F994-4D4D-8FAE-CAE147279E21}).Please contact package vendor....

and if we try and switch the Source Control options to use TFS Source Control, we get:

Package Load Failure: Package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.HatPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=<>' has failed to load properly....

NB: We de-installed all the old beta software/Team Explorer off the client PCs and actually de-installed VS2005 as well - we are running the installation of Team Explorer from the TFS RC installation - has anyone had similar errors?

We're wondering if this problem is with the TFS end or problem with the RC version of Team Explorer?  We are just about to install a brand new clean installation of TFS RC to see if we get the same errors connected to this server - if this work's it'll indicate it's an issue caused by upgrading from Beta 3 refresh to RC?

Anyone have a similar experience?

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:17 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

We've built a brand new virtual PC from scratch with Windows Server 2003 and installed TFS RC on this machine - we're getting exactly the same errors as above when connecting Team Explorer to this newly built server - anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 2:40 AM
  • This looks very similar to a problem I just diagnosed with another customer.  He had a corrupted installation.

The problem in that case was that two of our satellite resource assemblies were incorrect.  The two in that situation were Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControlUI.dll and Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTrackingUI.dll.  In a default installation for English these can be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\1033

The quick test is to load the DLLs into Visual Studio as Resources

• File | Open | File
    • select dll
    • then choose Open With from the drop down on the Open button
    • then select Resource Editor and click OK

If the string table is empty or the version info is corrupt then you're seeing the same issue.

Please let us know if this is your issue as well.

You can also try running Devenv.exe with the /Log option:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(VS.80).aspx

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:29 PM
  •  

No the solution was (you belive it), our MSDN download of Team Foundation Server was corrupt - we deinstalled Team Explorer on our client PCs, re-downloaded the .iso image off the MSDN web site and reinstalled Team Explorer - everything now ok !

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:40 AM
  • Glad to hear it worked out.  It sounds like you hit precisely the same issue as this customer:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=290808&siteid=1

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Friday, March 10, 2006 11:42 AM
  • Hello, I am also facing a similar problem., I succesfully  installed a 180 Days evaluation version of Team Foundation Server and the Team Explorer as per the Installation guide .  When I starts up Visual Studio  2005 a notification comes with the follwing message:

"Package Load Failure

Package 'team foundation server provider stub package' has failed to load properly (GUID={D79B7E0A-F994-4D4D-8FAE-CAE147279E21}). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended,due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future ? You may use 'devenv/resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading. <YES>/<NO>"

When I continued loading VS 2005, I found that Team Explorer is not loaded and also there is no option to start a new Team Project in the Menu.  The'Team' Menu is also missing.

Though I went through the solutions you suggested, I am not getting clarity in how to go about resolving this problem to get Team system running.  Kindly explain.

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:47 AM
  •  I had the same problem this morning! after dayly checking i close the VS 2012 and stop  my virtual machine! the next day in the morning i trying to open the solution and getting out this issue, in consequence no project in the solution couldn't load!

to solve this issue i trying to run at first deven.exe /log "c:\myLog.txt"  the real first error that i say was familar to me "the  TFS  config cache is invalid ...."  something that, i just  deleted the contain of  the folder  C:\Users\Developer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache   and restart my VS2012 and everything gone as i need!

now i know that if something gone wrong with VS and pointing to TFS, i must always refer to the TFS Cache directory and clean it! for me it's working

I thing that they are some bug in the cache management of TFS . i think that throw the exeption  in the cache reading process is not the good  way! The TFS team developer can just try to fix this bug,  from which they are lot of consequences and time loosing! 

try get data from TFS cache, if they are some exeption, clean the cache and load the binded solution again  

Michee Deumeni

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:32 AM
  •  I had the same problem this morning! after dayly checking i close the VS 2012 and stop  my virtual machine! the next day in the morning i trying to open the solution and getting out this issue, in consequence no project in the solution couldn't load! 

to solve this issue i trying to run at first deven.exe /log "c:\myLog.txt"  the real first error that i say was familar to me "the  TFS  config cache is invalid ...."  something that, i just  deleted the contain of  the folder  C:\Users\Developer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache   and restart my VS2012 and everything gone as i need!

now i know that if something gone wrong with VS and pointing to TFS, i must always refer to the TFS Cache directory and clean it! for me it's working

I thing that they are some bug in the cache management of TFS . i think that throw the exeption  in the cache reading process is not the good  way! The TFS team developer can just try to fix this bug,  from which they are lot of consequences and time loosing! 

try get data from TFS cache, if they are some exeption, clean the cache and load the binded solution again  

Michee Deumeni

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Thaks Man, Deleting the "C:\Users\Developer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Cache" folder did the trick for me.
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:43 AM