none
Report Execution Service Render Timeout

Question

• A web service, "../reportserver/reportexecution2005.asmx," is being used to call a report.  This report was created with ReportBuilder and pulls exactly one row of data.  The report is being called inside of a WCF Workflow application and the problem centers on the Render method of ReportExecutionService.  From within Visual Studio the Render method pulls back the data in pdf format in at most a few seconds, and when the report is run stand-alone the data is displayed within a few seconds.  But when installed on the server and run, it fails on the Render method with the message: "The operation has timed out."  

I'm running:

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP.1Rel

SQL Server 2008 R2

Dynamics CRM 2011

Jack W. Pullen

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, when you use ReportExecutionService.Render method to process a specific report and render it in the specified format, it will use some methods of Microsoft.ReportViewer, so you need to register the Microsoft.ReportViewer.*.dll, or copy them into the program directory.

Regards,
    Peter

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by Code Modeler Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:58 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure that the Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll and Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll was in the production service's directory, also you can try increasing the value of timeout property for the ReportExecutionService. Here is a article related to this issue.

http://elegantcode.com/2010/01/25/calls-to-reportexecutionservice-render-hang/

Regards,
    Peter

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:50 AM
  • I found a copy of the "localized" ReportViewer.exe where it was supposed to be.  Would it be best to run ReportViewer.exe on my development machine and copy Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll and Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll to the WCF application's web site on the server?  (I'm afraid to run ReportViewer directly on the server.)  Another question I have is why do I need the ReportViewer at all when the report renders directly to a stream?

Jack W. Pullen

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, when you use ReportExecutionService.Render method to process a specific report and render it in the specified format, it will use some methods of Microsoft.ReportViewer, so you need to register the Microsoft.ReportViewer.*.dll, or copy them into the program directory.

Regards,
    Peter

• Marked as answer by Code Modeler Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:58 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:37 AM
  • I want to thank you for your help.

I'm still getting a timeout error even after adding a reference to Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll and Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll to the WCF service.  I also added the dlls to the service's web site.  The timeout is three minutes, which should be plenty since the table has only one test record and I'm requesting that record by ID.

Jack W. Pullen

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:39 PM

• Jack W. Pullen

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, but on the Load method.  I'm using ReportExecution2005 web service.  Have you found a solution yet?
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:45 PM