none
Non WPF Property grid within rehosted WF designer

Question

• Hi, Another rehosted designer question!

Ok so quite simply I am in a position where i cannot use WPF as the main medium to rehost my WF designer.

I appreciate that the main component ie. the design surface is a WPF component and i cannot get away from that subsequently I am using a WPF Element host within a win forms user control. My question is whether or not i have any other option other than replicating this with the Property View. Ie. rather than using the WPF WF property grid using a native win forms.

Thanks,

Olly

OB

Friday, March 09, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't like to advise implementing a custom property grid to edit workflow designer workflows just because it's a lot of work, even though it's theoretically possible. One major factor is there are a lot of built in property editors which you would need to replicate. If you really want to try you would need to listen to a lot of events coming from the workflow designer, such as selection changed, traverse the model tree, cause and listen to model property changes, and so on.

Wrapping Property View in WinForms, or wrapping a combo of designer view and property view, are probably much easier options to prototype.

Tim

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As the type of PropertyInspectorView is System.Windows.UIElement, we can't using a native win form directly. Below is similar discussion, for your reference:

Could WF4.0's WF Designer be re-hosted in Winform?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfprerelease/thread/23742953-1b25-4e97-a6b9-269333c78597

Leo Tang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:27 AM
  • I wouldn't like to advise implementing a custom property grid to edit workflow designer workflows just because it's a lot of work, even though it's theoretically possible. One major factor is there are a lot of built in property editors which you would need to replicate. If you really want to try you would need to listen to a lot of events coming from the workflow designer, such as selection changed, traverse the model tree, cause and listen to model property changes, and so on.

Wrapping Property View in WinForms, or wrapping a combo of designer view and property view, are probably much easier options to prototype.

Tim

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Thanks for the information guys.

I will update this thread if i actually do try and implement my own custom property grid.

Cheers,

Olly

OB

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:10 AM