none
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656353)

Question

• I've tried installing this update MANY TIMES (both express and custom), but to no avail.  All it says is the following update could not be installed:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656353)

I was going to try to manually download the update from the Microsoft update center, but it said the update "could not be found".  That's a little bit fishy, makes me wonder if this is an actual update from Microsoft or just spam?  Not sure if spam or a virus of some sort can get into the auto updates (which is what I have my laptop set to), but I suppose anything is possible in the cyber world.  When I try the custom install (advanced), it gives me this info:

Size: 15.0

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it.  You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft.  After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information for this update can be found at http:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237375

I clicked on that and it took me to:

MS11-100: Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008, and on x64 and Itanium-based versions of Windows Server 2003: December 29, 2011

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• For information about Security updates Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and SecurityCenter for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and
    tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:28 PM
  • AdamS, I've been getting the same thing. I  also have it set to auto update, also tried custom. Pretty much everything you said. It does concern me. Every evening when I turn off the computer it tries to install to no avail.

pvgd42, I called the number and after the "this call may be monitored" statement so peircing static and high pitched beeps came over the line. After about 45 sec it said I had entered an invalid choice try again then back to the static. So I hit "1"  even though I had no idea what that was for and hold music came on. After about 7 minutes I hung up.  Tried again later and the same thing. Trying the email support next.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Having the exact problems, am seldom using my computer.  Seems I spend my time trying to locate this problem.  Will think twice before buying anything Microsoft related.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:10 AM
  • You know, I don't think the MS IT person 'answering' us realizes the extent of the problem.  We KNOW how to update MS .NET security on our computers.  This 1.1 came out in 2002.  My computer has been trying to automatically install it ever since.  I have spent countless hours reading on the internet that many other people cannot install 1.1 security update.  I have manually tried to update it.  No luck.  I have emailed Microsoft support.  Still no go.

What it says when it fails is 'Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click continue the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue.  Index and length - parameter name:  length.

Under detail it is Int32 length.

I would like to find someone who can answer this question in such a way that we can establish that 1.1 security update.  My computer has done updates since then up to 3.5.  Perhaps that has plugged the 'holes' that not having 1.1 leave?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hello, Scarlettudor and OHStormy.

You've posted to an answered thread, thus the only people likely to read your posts are those who already posted here.

If you want others to read your issue, you should start a new thread. A new, unanswered thread will get the attention of far more readers, increasing the chances of a solution for you.

BTW, there is no post from a "MS IT person" here.

• Edited by pvdg42MVP Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:39 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:37 PM
  • I have the same but I also have another one that is exactly the same but with code (KB2656370).  Has anyone had a solution yet?
    Monday, July 30, 2012 2:38 PM