none
Deleting "Task" workitem from Agile process template shows an error

Question

• Hello All,

I am working on customizing "MSF Agile Software Development 6.0" process template. All I need to delete "Task" workitem from process template (my company requires this type of process template).

SO, this is what I did. I just downloaded process template from collection, opened with process template and in "type definitions" I just deleted "task" workitem. Then save.

I was succeeded in uploading template to collection, but When I try to create new team project using the customized process template I see below error message.

Looks like there are more dependencies in TFS 2012 process template.

Please help me??

Error 
    TF30170: The plugin Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.WorkItemTracking failed during task ProcessConfiguration from group WorkItemTracking.  

Explanation 
    Plugin error text: “The following element contains an error: TaskWorkItems[category='Microsoft.TaskCategory']. TF400522: The following value is not a valid work item category: Microsoft.TaskCategory. You must specify a valid category. The following element contains an error: TypeFields/TypeField[type='RemainingWork']. TF400531: The value of this element is set to: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.RemainingWork. You must set the value to a field that exists on at least one work item type defined in the element: TaskWorkItems. The following element contains an error: TypeFields/TypeField[type='Activity']. TF400502: The value of this element is set to: Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Activity. You must set the value to a field that exists in the work item types that are defined in: TaskWorkItems. The following element contains an error: TaskWorkItems/States. TF400587: This element defines the states for work items that appear as tasks on your sprint backlog. Each state must exist in at least one of the work item types belong to category defined in: TaskWorkItems. The following states do not exist in any of the work item types: New, Active, Closed.”  

User Action 
    Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator.  

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:28 PM

Answers

• That's right, I have also tested this deleting Task type, it turns out we cannot delete task type from process template. Krishna may consider customize Task type, but not deleting.

There're a few occurence of task workitem type in process template. After removing one from CommonConfiguration.xml, I get below error while uploading. Below message is from validation process.

Event Description: TF30162: Task "ProcessConfiguration" from Group "WorkItemTracking" failed
    Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
    Exception Message: The element 'CommonProjectConfiguration' has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'TaskWorkItems'.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi!

I think that this category is required by web scrum task board.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Hi!

Try to use TFS Power Tools (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b1ef7eb2-e084-4cb8-9bc7-06c3bad9148f). When you delete work item type definition you must also delete it from Creation Task and TFS WIT Category. And this tool can automate this for you.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hello Alexandr,

Thanks for your reply, I have used powertools only. 

Also, I have tried deleting task category (given below) from "process settings - common" file. But still no use.

Any other suggestions please??

<TaskWorkItems category="Microsoft.TaskCategory">
    <States>
    <State value="New" type="Proposed" />
    <State value="Active" type="InProgress" />
    <State value="Closed" type="Complete" />   
    </States>  
    </TaskWorkItems>

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Try the other way, open Visual Studio command prompt:

witadmin destroywitd /collection:http://servername:8080/tfs /p:projectname /n:WorkItemTypeToBeDeleted

Refer to: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsprocess/thread/d51a8417-6460-4793-bff5-89c50bfde8ad/

Does this help you?

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:07 AM
  • This delete definition only from project and not from process template.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:49 AM
  • I try to remove task from process template on TFS 2012 Update 2 and I get an error on process uploading. TFS requires task category. So you must set some another wi definition to this category and correct states in process common settings.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 11:04 AM
  • That's right, I have also tested this deleting Task type, it turns out we cannot delete task type from process template. Krishna may consider customize Task type, but not deleting.

There're a few occurence of task workitem type in process template. After removing one from CommonConfiguration.xml, I get below error while uploading. Below message is from validation process.

Event Description: TF30162: Task "ProcessConfiguration" from Group "WorkItemTracking" failed
    Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
    Exception Message: The element 'CommonProjectConfiguration' has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'TaskWorkItems'.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hello Alexandr and Forrest Guo, 

Thanks for your reply,  I understand that we can achieve our goal by not removing 'Task Category'.

But, Why do we need to keep that category as we deleting 'Task' workitem?

I need to know this, because I am doing some other customization too which depends on the above question.

Any answers please?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:59 PM
  • I believe the xml schema enforced that task category is required. Look at downloaded process template <process template name>\WorkItem Tracking\categories.xml there is a namespace.

As why this task category is mandatory, that touches the core design of process template, so it beyond support scope. You may get clear idea by opening a support ticket:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Hi!

I think that this category is required by web scrum task board.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:03 AM
  • hi,

I think there is a feature missing. I wish there was an option for customize the access to different work items or at least hide them. Anybody knows a way to these customizations?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:01 AM