none
VS 2010 Attempting to convert VS 2010 Projects

Question

• I am currently trying to open my VS2010 Soloution file but VS2010 thinks its an older version and attempts to convert it.

What can I do to stop this behavior?

• Moved by Konrad Neitzel Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:03 AM (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:31 PM

Answers

• I figured it out.

It was the post build script that modifies the project file. It was failing and saving a 0k project file when VS tried to reload the file it did not recognize the project and would attempt to convert it with no luck.

• Marked as answer by CodemonkeyHelp Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:19 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:19 PM

All replies

• Well, what happens when it "converts" it?
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:54 PM
  • it becomes "Unloadable" and i need to get a previous version from TFS.

It will then attempt to do this all over again after I try to build in and it also prompts me saying the project file is checked out literally about 200 times guring the build process causing me to have to click ok 200 times.

MS Build has no issues building the project because it does not use VS to build.

Here is a related article that I found but still does not enable me to solve this

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/650587/vs-2010-sp1-changes-packagecode-in-vdproj-on-each-build-but-fails-as-source-controlled

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi CodemonkeyHelp,

maybe you can tell us the changes that Visual Studio is doing to the file? That might help us to find the source of the problem.

I am also wondering in which forum you can get the best support. Maybe the experts inside the MSBuild forum can help better? Or maybe the problem could be that something is not installed correctly in which case the Visual Studio Setup und Installation forum could be a good place. I will move the thread to the MSBuild forum right now in the hope that you can will get better support there than in this forum which covers the Developer Documentation and MS help system.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Hi CodemonkeyHelp,

If we open your .sln file in notepad, which Format Version will we find?

The blog as following below which may be useful to you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/03/15/why-does-visual-studio-2010-convert-my-projects.aspx 

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Hi CodemonkeyHelp,

I marked my repley as answer.

Please unmark it, if it is not the answer.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:37 AM
  • I figured it out.

It was the post build script that modifies the project file. It was failing and saving a 0k project file when VS tried to reload the file it did not recognize the project and would attempt to convert it with no luck.

• Marked as answer by CodemonkeyHelp Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:19 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:19 PM