none
Error on generated resource scripts while creating Visual Studio Shell Isolated project

Question

• Hi all,

I'm not sure what I'm missing in creating a Visual Studio Shell Isolated Project, but I just perform the following steps:

1. File -> New -> Project
    2. Select Visual Studio Shell Isolated under Extensibility
    3. Pick a name
    4. After the project opens, press F5.

And then the errors below appear, none of which makes any particular sense:

Error    4    error RC2135 : file not found: CTMENU   
    Error    5    error RC2135 : file not found: LANGUAGE   
    Error    6    error RC2135 : file not found: STRINGTABLE   
    Error    7    error RC2135 : file not found: TODO: Enter PLK here   
    Error    8    error RC2135 : file not found: 0x09   
    Error    9    error RC2135 : file not found: 107  
    Error    10    error RC2135 : file not found: 108   
    Error    11    error RC2135 : file not found: 109   
    Error    12    error RC2135 : file not found: ?

I've done absolutely no customization. I'm simply creating the project and trying to build it. Can't get it to work no matter what and I have no clue as to what's causing this... localization issues?

Help would be appreciated

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

I solved it, but I'm speechless, so I'll just give my fix without any attempts at explaining it:

1. Rename the buggy file to something.rc

2. Create a new Resource File using Add -> New Item -> Resource File with the same name as the previously buggy file.

3. Check this newly created file compiles (it should).

4. Go to the buggy file and press Ctrl+A (basically select everything) and Ctrl+C (copy everything).

5. Go to the new file and press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+V (paste the contents of the buggy file to the new file).

6. Now you should have two "identical" .rc files, one that compiles and another that does not. Remove the buggy file and you're done.

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:41 AM

All replies

• Are you using the latest version of Visual Studio 2008 and VSSDK?
    Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:16 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions. 

Thank you!
    Saturday, March 08, 2008 10:59 AM
  • I'm trying to follow up on this issue again. I'm sorry for the delay, but I thought no reply would be given.
    The problem is still active and yes, I am using the latest Visual Studio 2008 and the latest VSSDK.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gonçalo

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:32 AM
  •  

You mention that you think this could be linked to localization issue.  What language combination are you using for your OS and for your Visual Studio? 

Does the other samples work correctly?

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I'm currently using Windows XP English version (although I am in Portugal (PT)), and Visual Studio 2008 (also in English).

All the other samples (VSX related) that I've tried work correctly (mostly I've experimented with the DSL extensibility tools).

Thanks for helping,

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:38 AM
  • the errors you are seeing are all about the .rc files.  The compiler for these files should be under \Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\rc.exe

Can you verify if you have such a  file? 

Can you also post the complete build log?  It sounds like you have a particular configuration that is causing issues.  What sku of VS are you using?

Can you also post the complete path/name of your VSShell project?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:31 PM
  •  

I have the same problem. May be, this error is inspired by VS 2008 beta, which I used before? When I tried to install VS 2008 in virtual machine, I didn't get these errors.

With best regards,

OldDino

P.S. And my build log:

Build Log

Build started: Project: VSShellStub1, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Environment Space

_ACP_ATLPROV=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\Bin\ATLProv.dll
        _ACP_INCLUDE=D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Include\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include
        _ACP_LIB=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\lib\i386;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\lib
        _ACP_PATH=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\bin;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\tools;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\ide;D:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin;D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\SDK\v2.0\bin;D:\Windows\SysWow64;;D:\Windows\system32;D:\Windows;D:\Windows\System32\Wbem;D:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE;D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\;D:\Program Files\Graphviz2.18\Bin;D:\Program Files\Bitsum Technologies\PECompact2;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\
        _NT_SYMBOL_PATH=srv*"D\Windows\Symbols"*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
        ALLUSERSPROFILE=D:\ProgramData
        APPDATA=D:\Users\.....\AppData\Roaming
        CLASSPATH=.;D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip
        CommonProgramFiles=D:\Program Files\Common Files
        COMPUTERNAME=.....
        ComSpec=D:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
        FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
        HOMEDRIVE=D:
        HOMEPATH=\Users\.....
        INCLUDE=D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Include\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include
        LIB=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\lib\i386;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\lib;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\lib
        LIBPATH=D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0;D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\lib;D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework;D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\mmc;D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Tablet PC;D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\UDDI;D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\WindowsPowerShell
        LOCALAPPDATA=D:\Users\.....\AppData\Local
        LOGONSERVER=\\.....-PC
        NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
        OS=Windows_NT
        PATH=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\bin;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\tools;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\ide;D:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin;D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\SDK\v2.0\bin;D:\Windows\SysWow64;;D:\Windows\system32;D:\Windows;D:\Windows\System32\Wbem;D:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE;D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\;D:\Program Files\Graphviz2.18\Bin;D:\Program Files\Bitsum Technologies\PECompact2;D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\
        PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
        PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
        PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
        PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
        PROCESSOR_REVISION=0e08
        ProgramData=D:\ProgramData
        ProgramFiles=D:\Program Files
        PUBLIC=D:\Users\Public
        QTJAVA=D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip
        SESSIONNAME=Console
        SystemDrive=D:
        SystemRoot=D:\Windows
        TEMP=D:\Users\6EED~1\AppData\Local\Temp
        TMP=D:\Users\6EED~1\AppData\Local\Temp
        USERDOMAIN=.....-PC
        USERNAME=.....
        USERPROFILE=D:\Users\.....
        VisualStudioDir=D:\Users\.....\Documents\Visual Studio 2008
        VS90COMNTOOLS=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\
        VSSDK90Install=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\
        WecVersionForRosebud.F20=2
        windir=D:\Windows

Command Lines

Creating temporary file "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\Debug\BAT00000138723496.bat" with contents
    [
    @echo off

md "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\PackagesToLoad"

md "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\Profiles"

copy /Y "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\CurrentSettings.vssettings" "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\Profiles\CurrentSettings.vssettings"

copy /Y "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1.exe.config" "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug"

copy /Y "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\Splash.bmp" "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug"

copy /Y "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1.ico" "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug"

copy /Y "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1.prf" "C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\VSShellStub1.prf"

if errorlevel 1 goto VCReportError

goto VCEnd

:VCReportError

echo Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Pre-Build Event..."

exit 1

:VCEnd
    ]
    Creating command line "c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\Debug\BAT00000138723496.bat"
    Creating command line "rc.exe /d "_UNICODE" /d "UNICODE" /v /fo"Debug/VSShellStub1.res" .\VSShellStub1.rc"

Output Window

Performing Pre-Build Event...
    Подпапка или файл C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\PackagesToLoad уже существует.
    Подпапка или файл C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\Profiles уже существует.
    Не удается найти указанный файл.
    Скопировано файлов:         1.
    Compiling resources...
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    Creating Debug/VSShellStub1.res
    .\VSShellStub1.rc(22) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0x09
    .\VSShellStub1.rc(33) : error RC2135 : file not found: 107
    .\VSShellStub1.rc(34) : error RC2135 : file not found: 108
    .\VSShellStub1.rc(41) : error RC2135 : file not found: 109
    .\VSShellStub1.rc(43) : error RC2135 : file not found: ?
    Using codepage 1251 as default
    .\VSShellStub1.rc.
    Writing LANGUAGE:..
    Writing "VSSHELLSTUB1.ICO":ICON, lang:0x409, size 0.
    Writing "SMALL.ICO":ICON, lang:0x409, size 0.
    Writing BEGIN:ACCELERATORS, lang:0x409, size 0.

Results

Build log was saved at "file://c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    VSShellStub1 - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)

And from VS 2008's output window:

1>------ Build started: Project: VSShellStub1UI, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Compiling resources...

1>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0

1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

1>Creating Debug/VSShellStub1UI.res

1>.\VSShellStub1UI.rc(12) : error RC2135 : file not found: CTMENU

1>.\VSShellStub1UI.rc(21) : error RC2135 : file not found: LANGUAGE

1>.\VSShellStub1UI.rc(55) : error RC2135 : file not found: STRINGTABLE

1>.\VSShellStub1UI.rc(58) : error RC2135 : file not found: TODO: Enter PLK here

1>Using codepage 1251 as default

1>.\VSShellStub1UI.rc.

1>Writing 1000:.

1>Writing "VSSHELLSTUB1UI.CTO"Big SmileISCARDABLE, lang:0x409, size 0..

1>Writing 101:BEGIN, lang:0x409, size 0.

1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1UI\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>VSShellStub1UI - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s)

2>------ Build started: Project: VSShellStub1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

2>Performing Pre-Build Event...

2> Folder or file C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\PackagesToLoad is already exists.

2> Folder or file C:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\Debug\Profiles .is already exists

2> .

2> : Files copied: 1.

2>Compiling resources...

2>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0

2>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

2>Creating Debug/VSShellStub1.res

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc(22) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0x09

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc(33) : error RC2135 : file not found: 107

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc(34) : error RC2135 : file not found: 108

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc(41) : error RC2135 : file not found: 109

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc(43) : error RC2135 : file not found: ?

2>Using codepage 1251 as default

2>.\VSShellStub1.rc.

2>Writing LANGUAGE:..

2>Writing "VSSHELLSTUB1.ICO":ICON, lang:0x409, size 0.

2>Writing "SMALL.ICO":ICON, lang:0x409, size 0.

2>Writing BEGIN:ACCELERATORS, lang:0x409, size 0.

2>Build log was saved at "file://c:\MyProjects\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\VSShellStub1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

2>VSShellStub1 - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:37 AM
  •  

Did you uncheck the C++ language when installing Visual Studio?  Or perhaps you have installed a different version of the Window SDK? 

If not, do make sure you have uninstalled all beta components from the previous Visual Studio 2008 installations you may have had on your machine.  You can follow the instructions on

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb964521.aspx

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Hi all,

I've been testing your suggestions in an attempt to get this working, but I'm practically at the verge of giving up.

I found out that in some of my coworkers environments the Isolated Shell project compiles without errors. So I tried removing everything related to visual studio following the list provided previously and reinstalled just VS 2008 Professional and the VS 2008 SDK.

Nothing. The same errors continued to appear. I don't know how to workaround this, and it seems pretty cryptic for something that should work out-of-the-box. I would expect that at least some clues would point somewhere, but it's so obscure that noone seems able to do anything about it.

I'm getting closer and closer to a full system format as a last desperate attempt of getting this sample to work. Ridiculous to get to this point, but no other answer seems to be available at the moment. And if that doesn't work, I'll be completely clueless.

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Hi all,

I solved it, but I'm speechless, so I'll just give my fix without any attempts at explaining it:

1. Rename the buggy file to something.rc

2. Create a new Resource File using Add -> New Item -> Resource File with the same name as the previously buggy file.

3. Check this newly created file compiles (it should).

4. Go to the buggy file and press Ctrl+A (basically select everything) and Ctrl+C (copy everything).

5. Go to the new file and press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+V (paste the contents of the buggy file to the new file).

6. Now you should have two "identical" .rc files, one that compiles and another that does not. Remove the buggy file and you're done.

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:41 AM
  •  Many thanks to Kadachi!
    I have the same situation with russian localization. I not be able to resolve it myself.

Thanks again!

Slava V.
    Monday, July 07, 2008 10:23 AM
  • I had a very similar solution in VS2005, which I found and fixed thanks to some of the tips you guys mentioned.  So I figured I'd explain my problem and solution.

I was going crazy because I had an old copy of my application that was able to successfully compile the resource file.  I diff'ed the old file with the current one that was not compiling, and they were identifcal!!!  WTF!? 

So I thought I would copy the old (identical?) working file over the broken one, and I got the usual "File w/ this name already exists" type of warning.  Looking closer, I realized that the file I was copying was about twice the size as the other "identical" one.  It turns out that the working one was saved in Unicode, and the broken one was saved in ASCII.  I guess my DIFF program was setup to ignore this.   

Seems like a pretty significant bug to me.  If this is the intended behavior, then I would go as far as to say its a pretty significant screw-up that VS does not give a more informative error message. 
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:12 PM
  • So, the answer to this problem is to check that the .RC file is stored in the same format (ASCII or UNICODE) as your application is setup to be compiled for.  Or maybe its that you just HAVE to have the RC file in UNICODE and somehow it can get saved in ASCII and screw everything over. 
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:14 PM
  • The same situation in VS 2010 (beta 1). (Windows XP Russian edition).

Thanks!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem today, under XP and VS2008 Team system developper edition. I installed VS2008 SDK 1.1, then Visual Studio Shell redist. Compiling the VS Shell project failed exactly as described above.

So I repaired VS2008, uninstalled VS2008 SDK, uninstalled VS Shell redist, reinstall redist first then the SDK. Same problem.

I tried the trick above, renaming the .rc file, adding a new one, etc... : nothing.

So I restarted my computer, went to the VS solution, tried to compiled... and it worked !!

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:58 AM