none
Application crashes on startup

Question

• The latest version of my application crashes for a lot of users immediately after startup. It's been obfuscated with Dotfuscator, but when I run it on my machine both the encrypted and unencrypted versions run fine. However, I have lots of users reporting a crash on startup.

It's available at http://www.quantumftp.com/releases/quantumftp_1.50-noinst.zip if someone could try it. I have no idea why it doesn't work. Sad
    Monday, April 21, 2008 7:48 PM

Answers

• Does your application require specific assembly files that might not be present on the users machine?
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Echilon,

I have tested your application in my machine, indeed, it works fine, and I try to debug this program to get the modules list and found it use the .Net framework 2.0 and a Windows live messenger DLL “Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll”.

As far as I know, though you reference an assembly (such as LINQ) in your project, you failed to use it in your project; the compiler would exclude the assembly from your project.

I want to give you a suggestion that create a .Net setup project in the solution of the FTP project, and add your project output to the setup project, thus it will detect the dependency of the FTP project automatically.

Regards,

Xun

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:30 AM

All replies

• It works for me.  Can you provide more detail of the crashes on other computers?

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:05 PM
  • That's the strange thing. Three separate users have reported that it crashes immediately on startup. One user posted a screenshot - http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/tbboling505/Quantumerror.jpg , but it's a typically helpful windows error message. What could cause an application to crash like that?

As a quick fix, I've released an unobfuscated version, with the installer, but the no-installer version (link in the first post) is the obfuscated one.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Does your application require specific assembly files that might not be present on the users machine?
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Not as far as I know. I'm using a few libraries, but they're all in source form in the solution folder as opposed to DLL form, so I'd have thought they'd be compiled along with the rest of the source.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Your application is using .NET 3.5, do your users have .NET 3.5 installed?

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:23 PM
  • I've aske that but am still waiting for a reply. Doesn't the .NET version set in the publish settings have to be installed before the application will run? I know I'm not using the MSI installer, but an NSIS one instead.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:27 PM
  • You can set an MSI to the .NET 3.5 framework installer or it won't continue with the installation.  I don't know anythinga bout "NSIS"

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I see that your app uses some Messenger dll with path "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll" and also some Groove files. So it's posible that users don't have latest messenger installed or have Office installation.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Where did you find that? I've looked at the source with Reflector, but there's nothing but System.* assemblies and my own in there.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:11 AM
  •  Echilon wrote:
    Where did you find that? I've looked at the source with Reflector, but there's nothing but System.* assemblies and my own in there.

I found that using ProcessExplorer, select the exe, and go to View\Lower Panel View and select DLL or just click Ctrl+D.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Very odd. One user supplied this if it's any help.
    Code Snippet

Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:    quantumftp.exe
      Problem Signature 02:    1.5.0.0
      Problem Signature 03:    480c972e
      Problem Signature 04:    mscorlib
      Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:    47577b16
      Problem Signature 07:    f8b
      Problem Signature 08:    80
      Problem Signature 09:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033

Which makes it seem like it's a problem with the runtime (mscorelib) ?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:48 AM
  •  Echilon wrote:
    Very odd. One user supplied this if it's any help.
    Code Snippet

Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:    quantumftp.exe
      Problem Signature 02:    1.5.0.0
      Problem Signature 03:    480c972e
      Problem Signature 04:    mscorlib
      Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:    47577b16
      Problem Signature 07:    f8b
      Problem Signature 08:    80
      Problem Signature 09:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033

Which makes it seem like it's a problem with the runtime (mscorelib) ?
    So, it's clear that there are files that you haven't installed that are required by your application.  The files that boban found seem like likely candidates.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I'm not sure whether the references there are system specific. I can see the messenger DLL, but there's no entry for Groove as I don't have it installed. I didn't implicitly add anything to do with messenger file sharing, and I can't think why they'd be there. How would I remove them?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:01 PM
  • I can't find any references to the MSN dlls in Visual Studio. How would I go about removing these erroneous references?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:51 PM
  • It is hard to find the reason without souce of the project. But, did you done something in finding the problem, like starting Just-In-Time-Debugger and maybe see the reason. I don't have spare machine to try the problem, but i remembered that i have some virtual machines for Sql Server course, where all i had was sql server 2005 installation. I start the exe and it crashed, when i clicked the debug button and start debuging, it point me that i miss System.Core.dll version 3.5:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

And yes your app uses some System.Core file. Then i installed .NET Framework 3.5. After that application has started successfully. So if you really need this linq dll in the project to request from clients to install 3.5 framework, instruct them to install it, otherwise remove the usage of this dll. I hope this will help you.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Thatnks Boban, I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes. VS2008 has an annoying habbit of inserting references to the LINQ dll at the top of every class. I know LINQ is useful, but I don't need it in every class.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Hi Echilon,

I have tested your application in my machine, indeed, it works fine, and I try to debug this program to get the modules list and found it use the .Net framework 2.0 and a Windows live messenger DLL “Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll”.

As far as I know, though you reference an assembly (such as LINQ) in your project, you failed to use it in your project; the compiler would exclude the assembly from your project.

I want to give you a suggestion that create a .Net setup project in the solution of the FTP project, and add your project output to the setup project, thus it will detect the dependency of the FTP project automatically.

Regards,

Xun

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for the help everyone. All of the users I've heard from are now reporting that the application runs. It seems to have been a problem with the LINQ reference. I'll create a setup project for the program anyway though.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:33 PM