none
The Windows Installer package: D:\vs_setup.msi

Question

• Hello.
    I had a problem installing Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.
    I downloaded the all-in-one ISO and after my computer had restarted, as the installation asked. mid-set-up I got this message. I navigated to the directory it said the file should be and found vs_setup.ms_ which for some reason was missing the 'i' from the extension. I extracted the iso and renamed the file so it had a the correct extention and this seemed to work.
    I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    I think its an unusual error and I would like to know if any one knows what caused it in-case it happens again. I don't want to have to go though this process every time I install Visual Express software.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Sca462069,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's the exact error message that you got?

Could you help me to check whether you install VS2010 with the Administrator account?

For the ISO installer, you might try the following points to install VS2010:

- Make sure, to disable the Anti-Virus software during installation
    - For the ISO image, either:
       - Extract the ISO image, to your local computer, by using the 3rd-party tools like ISOBuster or WinZip and run the installation from the extracted file on the harddrive/harddisk
       - Mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive, using another 3rd party tool something like MSVCD, Daemon tools, and run the installation from here.

If the problem still exists, could you please follow the following steps to collect the log files?

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VWD2010
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, May 17, 2010 10:33 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:09 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Sca462069,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's the exact error message that you got?

Could you help me to check whether you install VS2010 with the Administrator account?

For the ISO installer, you might try the following points to install VS2010:

- Make sure, to disable the Anti-Virus software during installation
    - For the ISO image, either:
       - Extract the ISO image, to your local computer, by using the 3rd-party tools like ISOBuster or WinZip and run the installation from the extracted file on the harddrive/harddisk
       - Mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive, using another 3rd party tool something like MSVCD, Daemon tools, and run the installation from here.

If the problem still exists, could you please follow the following steps to collect the log files?

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VWD2010
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, May 17, 2010 10:33 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 2:09 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Hello again,

The message I was getting is "The Windows Installer Package: D:\VWDExpress\vs_setup.msi could not be opened". 
    This only happens if the computer needs to restart mid-installation and happens on any of the express software but only if none of the other packages has been installed. (usually after one package is installed it doesn't need to restart because the software needing the restart is already installed with the other package).
    The same thing happened when I used the ISO to install the Visual C# software on my other windows XP computer.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Hi Sca462069,

Thank you for your reply.

It sounds like that your issue could be related to corrupted installer.

Could you please download the ISO installer and follow my suggestion above to install it again?

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Hello Yichun,

The ISO file on your server is corrupted.

I have the exact same problem. Quite strange, no one in MS even checked this ISO before releasing it to public.

Best wishes

Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:34 PM