none
Visual Studio 2010 Premium upgrade to VS2010 Ultimate

Question

• Can VS2010 Ultimate be installed over the top, as an upgrade to VS2010 Premium?  Or is an uninstall/reinstall required?

Thanks!

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi MemITA,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio Premium Edition is included in Visual Studio Ultimate Edition. However, they can be installed side by side on the same machine.

If you install VS2010 Ultimate with the machine that has Premium installed, you will have both Premium and Ultimate.

For your concern, you might try to remove VS2010 Premium and then install Ultimate.
    This would help you to save some space of your disk.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 07, 2010 3:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi MemITA,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio Premium Edition is included in Visual Studio Ultimate Edition. However, they can be installed side by side on the same machine.

If you install VS2010 Ultimate with the machine that has Premium installed, you will have both Premium and Ultimate.

For your concern, you might try to remove VS2010 Premium and then install Ultimate.
    This would help you to save some space of your disk.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 07, 2010 3:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Hi YiChun Chen,

Similar question. Is there a way to go from VS2010 Professional to VS2010 Premium that does not involve a reinstall? I'm surprised I cna't just add a new product key andthen be upgraded?

thanks
    Jamie

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:34 AM
  • That's what I also like to know. I just hate to reinstall vs2010 again.
    Javafun
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:21 AM
  • same question as well...

Till now i had a professional installed, but now i would like to move for ultimate ver.

is it possible just to install ultimate over professional ?  without re-installation process ?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:21 PM
  • same here.. i have premimum installed but i have ultimate product key.. how can add that key to make the premimum version to ultimate without reinstalling.. i tried control panel remove software change and there is no option to add key..

how can i do it? uninstall and reinstall is only the option??

Guruprasad Marathe
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:12 PM
  • *bump*

Some sort of upgrade option would be nice.
    Since an uninstall could break dependencies with other tools etc .. 
    Any workaround available for this ? 

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Can I install Premium side by side onto a machine with Ultimate installed?
    Monday, April 23, 2012 12:18 PM
  • I have a similar issue, but maybe a little more complex.

I have VS 2010 SP1 installed and I want to upgrade to Premium.

Side by side installation is not an option, the installer would not allow me to change the installation path for premium (I think it's because it detected some components already installed as part of PRO).

The issue is, the installer for VS 2010 Premium is RTM, not SP1, so I would have to install RTM and then upgrade to SP1.

I have tried this before, when SP1 was released and that was a problem with installing SP1, it might not longer be an issue though.

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Similar requirement - Upgrading from Professional to Premium but does not seem to be answered as yet.. :(
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:21 AM