none
Calling perl from Visual basic

Question

• I have created a GUI for controlling a device in VB.  The VB GUI has a bunch of intelligence behind each button push to determine exactly what command need to be executed.  The commands are then written to a perl file (the communication to the board is in a perl package), and the script is executed.  This works consistently for us, but has severe performance issues.

The issue I have is that the underlying perl package can take up to 30 seconds to read into the perl interpreter.  The guts of what I want to do only takes a couple seconds to execute.  What I would really like to do is to have a perl interpreter up and running in a background shell, I can load the packages once, then issue commands as needed from the interpreter.  Is this possible?  Besides removing perl from the equation (which is not a possibility right now), any other suggestions?

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi horsegoalie,

if i understand you then you'll call your perl interpreter with your stored code.

You can call with the object "Process" any file with arguments. I don't know how the perl interpreter works.

I would call by dint of "Process" the perl interpreter with arguments.

If it's what you need then look here: MSDN Process

If not, please tell me your problem in an another way ;)

Regards

martinwy

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:14 PM