none
Language bug in VS2012 Update 3 To LS Team

Question

• Hi,

Upgraded to VS2012 3 and I have Swedish as default language.

Now the app only uses "English - US" even if I have Swedish or any other language as default.

Why?

regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know that we have a fix for this issue in VS 2012 Update 4 RC 1  -- this is an RC release but it does have a "go-live" license which means it is supported in production environments.

This release will install over previous VS2012 updates so if you are experiencing this bug then we recommend installing Update 4 RC1.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for reporting this issue!

-Beth 

Senior Program Manager, Visual Studio Community http://www.bethmassi.com http://msdn.com/lightswitch http://dev.office.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Upgraded to VS2012 3 and I have Swedish as default language.

Now the app only uses "English - US" even if I have Swedish or any other language as default.

Why?

regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Anyone?

Sven

Sven Elm

Monday, July 01, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Same issue for me (I had not seen this post and posted another on my own).
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hi Sven,

I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue. Was this project created with VS2012 update 2 or earlier and upgraded to VS2012 Update 3? Also is this an HTML client or Silverlight client based project?

Could you check the <DefaultLanguage> value in the root project file by opening the project file with notepad and see if it changes to Swedish if you change settings?

Thanks,

Raghuveer

gr

Monday, July 01, 2013 6:45 PM
  • In my case (and Sven and I certtainly have exactly the same issue) <DefaultLanguage> is fr.
    Note that "Change my password" is in French but that's the only thing.

Monday, July 01, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

Vs2012 update 2, upgraded to update 3.

The issue occurs both in silverlight and html.

There is another strange thing.

I rolled back my update to update 2 and the problem is solved with a solution not opend in update 3, but if I open a solution, opend with update 3, the problem remains in VS 2012 update 2......

This is very strange. Its like it was infected in update 3.

The only thing I have done different when I updated to update 3 is a update of Pixata Controls latest build.

regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same problem. 

I've Silverlight client based project after updated to update 3, my default language is fr. But now all is in English.

How correct this please?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:22 PM
  • I have the same problem, my default language is es_ and all my application is in english right now :/
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I try with new project, HTML and Silverlilght language is only English!
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:31 AM
  • same here - not german only english

Any feedback from MS about this bug/problem????

robert

• Edited by Mad Rian Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:57 AM feedback
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:50 PM
  • we need a workaround here - cannot publish our app now in english because we need german!

robert

Friday, July 05, 2013 8:43 AM
  • we need a workaround here - cannot publish our app now in english because we need german!

robert

Yes!

This should not happen when the only enhancement you made is better Intellisense i Javascript.

LS-team, pleace post a solution. Many developers outside US are stuck and cannot publish now.

I rolled back my installation and used a backup but lost some of my new code.

:(

Sven

Sven Elm

Friday, July 05, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hey Lightswitch Team...

What's going on there in Redmond???

it seems there is a bug which causes many developers outsite of US to become great problems and nobody there at Microsoft responds to our question!

it is a disaster and shame what is currently happening here

robert

• Edited by Mad Rian Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:38 AM typing error
    Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Same for me, this is huge serious problem.

Please give us a workaround now!!!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I wanted to let everyone know that we are looking into the issue and are working on a fix for it.

In the future, if you run across issues that are definitely bugs, please log them at the Connect site. They will get routed to us and we can respond to them faster. If you want to discuss them in the forums, that is fine and you can link to the Connect bug so that others can state how they are affected. This way, we can get a better understanding of the impact and get detailed information about the scenarios. We can also provide workarounds and attachments in the bug details, if necessary.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you are right. Should have reported at the connect site.

Will do it "next" time ;-)

Do you know how long it will take to publish a fix or a workaround?

regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:49 AM
  • I had no problems with v3 so far but I do get the same language bug with a test build.

It looks like that the resource files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\LightSwitch\v3.0\Client\" got changed, maybe with VS2012 Update 3.

For instance, I do have in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\LightSwitch\v3.0\Client\it" Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.Internal.Resources.dll with version 11.0.60517.0 all in English, whereas on the prod machine it is version 11.0.60308.0 all in Italian.

• Edited by mf_falkao Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:27 PM VS2012 Update 3 added
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:25 PM
  • hi ryan lin 我是一个产品经理,我们团队也在进行ls的技术预研,也有类似相同的问题,能否qq或其他方式大家讨论一下Lightswitch的一些疑惑和问题,请加QQ64803411,验证信息请填写你的Msdn id。
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi szstone,

很高兴遇到国内做LightSwitch的, 已加你QQ。

LightSwitch我们已经研究过3年了,做过挺多中小型项目和产品(250个表以上), 其它都OK,只说一个大问题,

表一旦超过200个以上性能就指数级的下降(开发环境性能),我们产品做到250个表就恐怖了, 现在不敢轻易往上面做功能, 可以想到的解决办法是每个子系统做一个LightSwitch项目, 设计一个主界面无缝切换, 但是这样会造成维护量的徒增。这点不解决LightSwitch做大型项目无前途。

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Hello Justin,

when can we expect a solution/workaround?

my customer is very angry and I cannot release a new version because all is english - the only way is to revert all the work and go back to Update 2 :-(

robert

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:32 AM
  • if you have a backup of the update 2 SDK files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\LightSwitch\v3.0 then you can replace the language files. For Instance, if you will bring back German then replace C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\LightSwitch\v3.0\Client\de files having date 2013/05/16.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 9:47 AM
  • it doesn't work for me - only possible to remove Update 3 and revert to the latest backup of my project

thanks M$ for releasing such a **** update...

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for reporting this bug -- we are working on a fix for the next service release.

After you remove Update 3 (Add/Remove Programs -- View installed Updates) you can reinstall Update 2 from the ISO here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=298533

This will give you back the HTML client functionality and other features we released in Update 2 (SharePoint, JSON lite, etc).

Hope this helps,
    -Beth

Senior Program Manager, Visual Studio Community http://www.bethmassi.com http://msdn.com/lightswitch http://dev.office.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know that we have a fix for this issue in VS 2012 Update 4 RC 1  -- this is an RC release but it does have a "go-live" license which means it is supported in production environments.

This release will install over previous VS2012 updates so if you are experiencing this bug then we recommend installing Update 4 RC1.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for reporting this issue!

-Beth 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Hi Beth,

Thanks. Will try it out.

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

I applied the update, and everything works fine now.

Regards

Dominique

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Do you know what caused this issue?

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:08 PM
  • This is still not functioning properly. I am trying to publish in Norwegian.

Installed Update 4 RC1 to fix this problem. Now I get the correct default language when debugging but only when in debug mode.

When I publish (to Azure) the language is changed back to en-US.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 4:21 PM
  • I have a quick and dirty work around which is (mostly) saving me. I swapped the naming on the resjson files so that the Norwegian is now in the file named "client.lang-en-US.resjson".

It doesn't fix the automatic localisation (for things like 'Yes/No' in jquery mobile toggle (or "flip") switches ,etc) but all my the rest of the app is now in the language I need.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Thats strange.

It works in IIS7.

LS teaem, pleace check into this issue...

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Sunday, August 04, 2013 6:04 PM
  • I just tested again to be sure. I also noticed that in the project file the language was being set to "no" (when default Norwegian selected) and that it is case sensitive - so make sure your resource files are have the correct case. But my case is correctly aligned for both client and server resource files and in the project file.

Running in debug mode I correctly get default Norwegian. Publish to Azure back to a default language of American English again, even though project is set to Norwegian.

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Anyone in LS team care to comment. Is it me? Or is this is a show stopper bug for LS in most European contexts.
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:31 PM