none
Build an ASP.NET App on the Command Line

Question

• I want to use Visual Build (a 3rd party product) to automate the building of a project that contains many steps.  One of the steps is to build an ASP.NET 2.0 application that was created with Visual Studio 2005 (RTM).  The ASP.NET solution builds from within VS2005 just fine.  When I try to build this same solution from within the Visual Build environment, it fails with the following errors:

FIRST FAILURE
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /Spam -p Spam\ -u -f -d -fixednames PrecompiledWeb\Spam\
            K:\Website\Spam\images\web.config : error ASPCONFIG: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start monitoring changes to 'K:\Website\Spam\images' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.
        Done building target "G:\___\Spam\:Rebuild" in project "Website.sln" -- FAILED.

SECOND FAILURE
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /Export -p Export\ -u -f -d -fixednames PrecompiledWeb\Export\
            ASPNETCOMPILER : error ASPCONFIG: Could not load file or assembly 'Library, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417)
        Done building target "G:\___\Export\:Rebuild" in project "Website.sln" -- FAILED.

Here is the cmdline used by Visual Build to build the Website.sln solution:
    Command: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msbuild.exe K:\Website\Website.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Debug

Issuing that same command from a cmd prompt results in the same errors.

Does anyone know why this is occuring? 

P.S:  One of the failures refers to a KB article; the advice in that article did not help.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Jones

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:31 AM

Answers

• Yes, almost certainly. If it's a network share the .NET Framework has all sorts of concerns regarding security. Your best bet is to build then app locally, rather than from a share.

Neil

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:46 AM

All replies

• Rob,

Is k:\ a drive mapped to a network share?

Neil

Friday, December 16, 2005 7:05 PM
  • Yes, it is.  K: is a share pointing to a local folder.  Is that the culprit???

Rob
    Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:32 AM
  • Yes, almost certainly. If it's a network share the .NET Framework has all sorts of concerns regarding security. Your best bet is to build then app locally, rather than from a share.

Neil

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:46 AM
  • We are trying to build an app through visual studio 05 which is hosted on our SBS (running 03).  Running the application locally is inconveniant as we have several developers working on the same project, the source and virtual directory etc are all running on IIS on the SMB.  I have installed the remote debug client on the server and that all seems to be working OK, I do however keep getting the KB810886 error, for reference I have done everything the article suggests on both my workstation (XP Pro) and on our server.

"Error 43 An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start monitoring changes to '[my path]' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform. [my path]\web.config"

Are you saying in the above post that Vistual Studio 2005 Pro doesn't support a network based infrastructure with a centralised files, webserver etc when using ASP .NET v2. It seems rather odd that Microsofts flagship development product wouldn't support such functionality

Not wishing to moan, just getting a little frustrated.

Hope you can help and I look forward to your response.

Best Regards Gareth!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:57 AM
  • Gareth,

The folks hanging out here unfortunately are not experts in what you are trying to do. Your best bet is to ask in the ASP.NET forums at http://forums.asp.net/. People there have likely tried what you are doing and will be able to offer assistance.

Neil

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:27 PM
  • cheers for your help, I have spent the afternoon looking at this problem and have still not found a solution, bit of a nightmare on the whole. I had hoped that the MSDN forums would yeild a little help but will try the asp ones too. What I am trying to do may not be possible but I don't belive that VS '05 Pro, .NET 2, and SBS 2003 don't work in harmony.  I have assumed thus far that I have been doing something wrong but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for your time, Regards Gareth!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:33 PM
  • ASP .NET engine need to monitor each folder in your web application to catch changes. If the web site is hosted on UNC share, ASP .NET try to create a Server Message Block connection for each folder in your web site.

The maximum number of simultaneous connection is limited from the registry key HKLM/Services... (MS KB 810886). So, if the number of folders in your "UNC web site" is larger then that defined in the registry you will receive the "BIOS limit excedeed error...".

On local web site SMB connections are not used to monitor folder changes, so you can have as many folders as you want.

Sorry for my poor english.

Hoping this was usefull..

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:08 PM
  • Hi!Rob:

today,I want to run a project in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and failed .

And show a Error :Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant minimum permission requests. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131417) 

so ,I search on net, and see you occured to same,so I ask you :How solve?? 

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:43 AM
  • I experienced the same problems - building across the mapped drive had been going just fine until yesterday when all of a sudden I received the dreaded error :

Error 1 An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start monitoring changes to 'X:\xxxxxxxx\ISO Group\xxxx\isogroup' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform. X:\xxxxxx\ISO Group\xxxxx\isogroup\web.config 

I'm not sure why it started or why it was fixed but it started right after I created a new directory, cut and pasted several files fro the project into it, and excluded them from the project.

As soon as I deleted that folder I was able to build my project again.

Rob
    http://www.iso-group.com

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem (First Failure) and finally resolved it.

For me, this was because of too much warnings and errors.

So try to resolve all warning messages and eventually other error messages, this should repair the network vios command limit.

regards

Icha

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:35 PM
  • The simple solution that worked for me was to shut down VS 2005. Reopen the project ..publish and no more problem. I'm guessing this issue is caused by

"The maximum number of simultaneous, active requests between an SMB client and the server is determined when a client/server session is negotiated. The maximum number of requests that a client supports is determined by the MaxCmds registry value. The maximum number of requests that a server supports is determined by the MaxMpxCt registry value. For a particular client and server pair, the number of simultaneous, active requests is the lesser of these two values.".

This quote is from the KB article referenced in the error message. I did try to use the FQN for the server share but recieved the same error message. It appears to have something to do with possibly a live connection that VS uses rather than resetting the connection, which is effectively what restarting VS does.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:53 PM
  • I agree, restarting VS worked for me as well. 

Restarting VS is a good catchall solution for cr@p like that.

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:53 PM
  •  

I have the same problem but restarting IIS and VS2005 is not solved my problem.

Any help

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:01 AM
  •  Neil Enns MSFT wrote:

Yes, almost certainly. If it's a network share the .NET Framework has all sorts of concerns regarding security. Your best bet is to build then app locally, rather than from a share.

Neil

possibly the worst thing to ever happen, ever.

who cares about microsofts securities etc. we want to develop properly. if its a website, this isnt feasible at all. what happened to programming on the fly?

time to turn back to classic ASP eh? this is absolutely ridiculous.

surely if there is a security issue, its up to the programmers and the company to use them?

do i have to copy my companies whole intranet to my local pc and deploy what i write to a TEST/Staging server?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
    • Proposed as answer by ferrous777 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ferrous777 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:03 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:13 PM
  • This was happening to me because I had too many files open on the server at once.  I went to the open files section of the computer management control panel applet and closed all files that were checked out to me and it started working again.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Jonathan Pablo Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jonathan Pablo Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:04 AM
  • We had this issue before and solved by the help of this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911272

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:49 PM