none
Export Class diagram to xsd

Question

• Hi, we have a huge data model in XMI format that we want to extract a subset of as an xsd.

To import the full model in to VS is not a problem, neither to make a class diagram as a sub set. Though I can't seem to find a way to export it as an xsd.

Now my question is if this is possible or am I reaching for straws? I know it is possible in some other tools, unfortunately I do not have access to those where I am currently located.

Any suggestions or hints to how to solve this issue are greatly appreciated.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Roine,

I think you would have to code this.

It is certainly possible to code a VS extension to provide an option to generate a document from a Class Diagram that lists the Classes shown on the diagram. I've done something similar for Use Cases.

Alternatively you could extract the information you want directly from the XML files in which VS stores the Class Diagram data.

Regards

Nick

• Marked as answer by Roine_ Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Roine,

Here are the possible ways to export a UML class diagram: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd554948(v=vs.100).aspx

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hi Roine,

It is certainly possible to code a VS extension to provide an option to generate a document from a Class Diagram that lists the Classes shown on the diagram. I've done something similar for Use Cases.

Alternatively you could extract the information you want directly from the XML files in which VS stores the Class Diagram data.

Regards

Nick

• Marked as answer by Roine_ Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hi Roine,

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick, was afraid that would be the answer. Would be quite a lot of hours to make the extract from the class diagram as xsd's and that I can't spend the time on. So I will have to look at another solution for this. Need to import a huge XMI and make an extract from that and have the output as xsd's. Or as another XMI, think there are other tools which can handle the transform from XMI to xsd as well. Though Haven't found anyone as convenient as VS to make the extract. But since the extract is the MS format and can't be exported to be used elsewhere it aint useable.

Sad that it is this way but not much to do about it. Other than finding a tool that can fulfill this task. 

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hi Roine,

You might want to submit this feedback on the Visual Studio Ultimate User Voice site:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/30929-visual-studio-ultimate

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:27 PM