none
POS Printing Speed (Epson TM T88 series)

Question

• Hi

I am wrinting a program which takes customers details and their order details, each order line is added to a DGV and eventually saved to a MDB, a Crystal Report Viewer than queries the information back and displays it in the format I setup in the report i created, then this is printed via the Epson TM T88(from III to V). The thing is this is printing very slowly (line by line) compared to our EPOS software which prints as a thermal printer should.

This is how i call the report parameters and print the report:

Private Sub PrintITPOrderReceipt()

Dim paramFields As New ParameterFields
     Dim paramField As New ParameterField
     Dim discreteVal As New ParameterDiscreteValue

Dim cryRpt As New ReportDocument

cryRpt.Load("C:\SalesStream\VBPrograms\ITPOrderReceipt.rpt")     
     crpViewer.ReportSource = cryRpt

paramField.ParameterFieldName = "OrderNo"

discreteVal.Value = lblOrderNo.Text
     paramField.CurrentValues.Add(discreteVal)

paramFields.Add(paramField)

crpViewer.ParameterFieldInfo = paramFields

crpViewer.Refresh()

cryRpt.PrintOptions.PrinterName = "EPSON TM-T88II(R) Receipt"

cryRpt.PrintToPrinter(1, False, 0, 0) 
    End Sub

Is there a different way to print to the POS Printer to speed it up? As i know it can print faster as our EPOS Software manages it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kind Regards

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:21 AM

Answers

• If you are using Crystal Report (or whatever printing .Net feature) it is done using all the possiblities (also the disliked) from the OS.

You want to print outside that, so then Crystal Report falls out of your possibilities and are you bound to things like Win32 API's for direct printing.

You can try this one, it seems to by very old documentation for VB6 without that it is written for what version it is on this page. But as long as that is not documented use for Long Int32, beside things as the handles it should then go.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154078

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:56 PM
  • You would need to export if your using the crystal reports viewer control to pdf and printing will be increased significantly because the formatting is put into the pdf/xps format and then print it but otherwise I would try cor's suggestion which is second best option.  I use crystal reports in my school system i work at as an IT in and i increase the printing time a little this way.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:18 PM

All replies

• If you are using Crystal Report (or whatever printing .Net feature) it is done using all the possiblities (also the disliked) from the OS.

You want to print outside that, so then Crystal Report falls out of your possibilities and are you bound to things like Win32 API's for direct printing.

You can try this one, it seems to by very old documentation for VB6 without that it is written for what version it is on this page. But as long as that is not documented use for Long Int32, beside things as the handles it should then go.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154078

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:56 PM
  • You would need to export if your using the crystal reports viewer control to pdf and printing will be increased significantly because the formatting is put into the pdf/xps format and then print it but otherwise I would try cor's suggestion which is second best option.  I use crystal reports in my school system i work at as an IT in and i increase the printing time a little this way.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:18 PM