none
How do I know which .net version my CPU is using?

Question

• When looking at posts, I see that some functions (I think that's what it's called) only work with certain versions. 

**For example this was in a post "The namespace System.Net.Mail is a part of the class library of .NET framwork 2.0 (currently in BETA version), to send mail using .NET framework 1.1, you'd use System.Web.Mail instead.."

What .net version is my CPU running?  Should I be concerned with using a beta version?

My CPU has the following programs installed:

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.1

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1

-Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:32 AM

Answers

• Your question is a little hard to interpret, but generally the .NET version used depends on the application calling it. If I, as a developer choose to target .NET 2.0 for my application (by using Visual Studio 2005 or explicitly choosing that version in Visual Studio 2008), that's the version that will run. Each application (process) can load a different version as needed.

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:42 PM
  • From the list of installed programs, your system has .Net 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 and 3.5 Compact Framework installed. The way to check the version of a particular dll would be to check under "References" in VS where that is being picked up from. This will open a Add Reference where you can see a list of .dlls listed as:

Component Name - Version - Runitme Version

HTH

Saurabh Gupta 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Visual Studio 2008 is an officially shipped product now (as of November 2007). I'm not sure about beta status of IIS versions, though.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:07 PM

All replies

• Your question is a little hard to interpret, but generally the .NET version used depends on the application calling it. If I, as a developer choose to target .NET 2.0 for my application (by using Visual Studio 2005 or explicitly choosing that version in Visual Studio 2008), that's the version that will run. Each application (process) can load a different version as needed.

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:42 PM
  • From the list of installed programs, your system has .Net 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 and 3.5 Compact Framework installed. The way to check the version of a particular dll would be to check under "References" in VS where that is being picked up from. This will open a Add Reference where you can see a list of .dlls listed as:

Component Name - Version - Runitme Version

HTH

Saurabh Gupta 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Thank you...

I downloaded the trial version of VS '08, should I be using Visual Studios '05 b/c it's a complete version, or wait to use '08 when it's complete.

I'm trying to have a site return an emeil to me using SMTP functions.  I believe that the beta version ISS or IIS server application will not run localy to test.  Is this b/c I'm using VS '08 b/c it's a beta version?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Visual Studio 2008 is an officially shipped product now (as of November 2007). I'm not sure about beta status of IIS versions, though.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:07 PM