none
How can I make an empty read-only field display in VS2012?

Question

• Ok, so read-only fields without content are hidden when viewed in VS2012.  I get the reason behind it--it makes sense in general not to show things to users that they cannot change and do not (presumably) affect them.

However, this 'feature' is causing some stress to my users who have noticed that fields have vanished since upgrading to 2012.  We're a medical device manufacture, and folks around here like forms (which is how they unfortunately tend to view work items) to look the same from one user and instance to the next. 

Is there a relatively easy way to make the read-only fields show up anyway?  Easy = Not making a custom control.  I know I can, but I'm wondering if there's a lazier way. Thanks!

Programmer and Windows slave

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

When use VS 2012 connect with TFS 2012, it is by design that, if a field is READONLY, and there is no value of this field, it will not expose out for users.

For VS 2012, if you do not want to write custom control, I suggest you submit a feedback to Visual Studio UserVoice site (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio).

Alternatively, you can use VS 2010 connect with TFS 2012, READONLY field will always grey whatever it has value or not.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time, I temporarily close this case. I mark useful reply as answer. If you have any concerns, please free feel to reopen it or submit a new question. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:14 AM
  • This functionality seems to be bugged in TFS. I have a field that is not read-only and has an "Empty Text" specified. I have an EMPTY rule defined on it WHEN another field is 'Yes'. However, instead of blanking the field value and re-displaying the Empty Text, the fields completely disappears (keep in mind it's not read-only).

At the very least, the field should not hide. But it should also be re-displaying the Empty Text value I would think.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:00 PM