none
ISO: Archive is in unknown format or damaged

Question

• I get this error above after downloading the ISO for VS 2008 Pro (Trial edition).  I downloaded this large file twice, and in both cases when I try to open it with WinRar or by double-clicking on it or even by trying to burn it to CD using "ISO Image Burner" app.  So how do I open this so that I can install VS?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your reply.

I've checked the installer of VS2008ProEdition90DayTrialENUX1435633.iso with MD5 tool. I can get the same Hash code:
    AB56DCB849B6B22B0467C27661D5E7B1
    Thus, it seems that the installer is well downloaded. We can isolate the possible cause of the installer itself.

Could you please help me to check whether you can:
    - Extract the ISO image by using the 3rd-party tools like Winzip and then do the installation from the extracted file
    - Use some 3rd-party virtual drive software such as Daemon tools to load the image file to help installation

Hope this helps! Look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Ryan D Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:52 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

I get this error above after downloading the ISO for VS 2008 Pro (Trial edition).  I downloaded this large file twice, and in both cases when I try to open it with WinRar or by double-clicking on it or even by trying to burn it to CD using "ISO Image Burner" app.  So how do I open this so that I can install VS?

Based on your description, it seems that you have concern on the ISO installer of Visual Studio 2008 Trial Edition.

For your concern, could you please try to use other web browser or some download manager software to download it again?
    You can download the ISO installer of Visual Studio 2008 Trial Edition from the following website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83c3a1ec-ed72-4a79-8961-25635db0192b&displaylang=en

I've tried to download Visual Studio 2008 Professional Trial Edition by using IE. It works well. The size of the installer is 3.47 GB (3,554,287,616 bytes).
    One simple way to check the installer, we can download some freely available MD5 hash tools like: http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/ and just run "md5 filename" and it will generate the hash so you can authenticate whether the file is corrupted or not.

After the installer has been authenticated, you might try the following points:

- Make sure, to disable the Anti-Virus software during installation
    - For the ISO image, either:
       - Extract the ISO image, to your local computer, that you have just created using something like ISOBuster and run the installation from the harddrive/harddisk
       - Mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive, using another 3rd party tool something like MSVCD, Daemon tools, and run the installation from here.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:01 AM typo
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:56 AM
  • ok,

I ran the MD5 utility as:
    md5 C:\downloads\MD5\VS2008ProEdition90DayTrialENUX1435633.iso

and it returned:

How do I see if this is corrupted or not?  I thought the way was to do a checksum on the original file and compare it.  But when I entered the fciv command, this resulted in same output.

I am already using a download manager software.  And this was the second time I downloaded this VS ISO from the MS website.  The size of my ISO file is 3.47 GB.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:41 PM
  • I ran the ISOBuster tool and ran it, but it returned error:
    Hardware Error 307
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your reply.

I've checked the installer of VS2008ProEdition90DayTrialENUX1435633.iso with MD5 tool. I can get the same Hash code:
    Thus, it seems that the installer is well downloaded. We can isolate the possible cause of the installer itself.

Could you please help me to check whether you can:
    - Extract the ISO image by using the 3rd-party tools like Winzip and then do the installation from the extracted file
    - Use some 3rd-party virtual drive software such as Daemon tools to load the image file to help installation

Hope this helps! Look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by Ryan D Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:52 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Sweet!  I downloaded WinZip, extracted all the files and bingo!  It opened just fine!  Thanks for the tips!  Before I had tried WinRAR and it gave me this error.  So I guess WinZip is different than WinRAR.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

It's my pleasure!

I'm so glad to hear this good news. Cheer!

Have a great week.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:54 AM