none
Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a DateTime.

Question

• I have a SQL stored procedure which adds a new line to a table and one field is a DateTime field.  The parameter is defined as a DateTime type in the stored procedure and in VB.NET when I add the parameter.

The data for the parameter comes from a FlexCell grid which in one column allows the user to choose a date and in the next column choose a time from a drop down list of pre-determined times, eg: 06:00, 06:30, 07:00 etc.

My code is as follows:

Dim DateTimeStr as String

DateTimeStr = Mid(GridOrders.Cell(I, 9).Text, 4, 2) + "/" + Mid(GridOrders.Cell(I, 9).Text, 1, 2) + "/" + Mid(GridOrders.Cell(I, 9).Text, 7, 4) + " " + GridOrders.Cell(I, 10).Text + ":00"

cm.Parameters.Add("@RequestedDate", SqlDbType.DateTime).Value = CType(DateTimeStr, DateTime)

I always get the error above when I try to Execute the command.  I have tried using DateTime.Parse and ConvertTo.DateTime commands but with no difference to the end result.  How can I convert the text fields in the FlexCell Grid to a SQL DateTime parameter?

My DateTimeStr reformats the date from dd/MM/yyyy to MM/dd/yyyy and then adds the time onto the end eg. 07:00:00, but the conversion from this string to the DateTime doesn't work.

Can anybody help as I've tried all other solutions I can find but none have worked.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:02 AM

Answers

• Code Block

Dim DateTimeStr As String = "11/07/2007 07:00:00"

Try

Dim dt As DateTime = CType(DateTimeStr, DateTime)

'conversion worked

MsgBox("Worked")

Catch ex As Exception

'conversion failed say why

MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

The snippet above works, and judging from your error message, I don't think the problem comes from casting DateTimeStr into a DateTime. Try casting it first and if there's no error then try passing it to your sp, like:

cm.Parameters.Add("@RequestedDate", SqlDbType.DateTime).Value = dt

hope it helps

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:21 PM

All replies

• Code Block

Dim DateTimeStr As String = "11/07/2007 07:00:00"

Try

Dim dt As DateTime = CType(DateTimeStr, DateTime)

'conversion worked

MsgBox("Worked")

Catch ex As Exception

'conversion failed say why

MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

The snippet above works, and judging from your error message, I don't think the problem comes from casting DateTimeStr into a DateTime. Try casting it first and if there's no error then try passing it to your sp, like:

cm.Parameters.Add("@RequestedDate", SqlDbType.DateTime).Value = dt

hope it helps

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:21 PM
  • you can use CDate(expresion) function to confert string date to DateTime type.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:36 PM
  • this wasn't helpful

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:49 PM
  •  

yes i have a 5673mb pentium processor and its big (not as big as my nob)
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Great thanks.  This helped me identify where the probelm was.  It was with another datetime parameter which I had tried to change the formatting on (stupidly) and was causing the error.  Thanks for helping me narrow down the problem.

Regards

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:24 PM