none
Visual Studio 2010 low memory problems

Question

• I have a notebook which has 4 GB ram i7 chipset. That is new notebook. I installed vs 2010 and try to use FormView. But I am very dissappinted with performance. Always it interrupts and give low memory. It is terrible. Is there any solution please?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

A really good notebook! Low memory message is from Windows OS which informs you there is not enough memory for the actions you perform. This is actually an OS issue, not with FormView control.

There are several ways to prevent the low memory problems:
     1. increase the page file (virtual memory) size
     2. install more RAM (random access memory)
     3. find out the program which overuses memory (memory overuse means a program don't free up memory which it no longer needs)

To find out the program which uses memory most, you could open Task Manager and sort the processes by memory in Processes tab.

For more information and detail steps, please refer to the article below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/preventing-low-memory-problems

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by Roahn Luo Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:32 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

A really good notebook! Low memory message is from Windows OS which informs you there is not enough memory for the actions you perform. This is actually an OS issue, not with FormView control.

There are several ways to prevent the low memory problems:
     1. increase the page file (virtual memory) size
     2. install more RAM (random access memory)
     3. find out the program which overuses memory (memory overuse means a program don't free up memory which it no longer needs)

To find out the program which uses memory most, you could open Task Manager and sort the processes by memory in Processes tab.

For more information and detail steps, please refer to the article below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/preventing-low-memory-problems

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Roahn Luo Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:32 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Hello,

I'm wrting to follow up the thread. Please let me know if you have more concern on the issue whenever you feel free.

Thanks.

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:12 AM
  • I've got the same probleme. it's very iritating, I can't work more than 5min before visual studio throw an exception about memory. I think there is no solution for this probeleme unless MS fix this probleme(Update visual studio). this probleme appear when I work with a form that contains a lot of controls and it's kind of big (more than 70K line). For small projects or forms, I didn't encounter this probleme. Lets hope that microsoft fix this probleme quickly, because I don't know what to do.

PS. This probleme does appear even if you have large capacity RAM

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:30 AM
  • +1
    Get this all the time. Same problem.  Cant program in VS 2010 more than 10-15 min before its starts crawling and eating memory like crazy.
    Then it crashes, sometimes taking my work with it....very maddening!

I also have an eng. laptoptop with  plenty of RAM and CPU.

When the app crashes, there is still a GB of ram left to be used and the only app eating all of the memory is VS itself...nothing else.

It gets up to 800mb just by itself.
    that is friggin ridiculous.

I also am programming .net web app with data forms, grids, etc.

How do we fix this????

Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:32 PM
  •  

There are a couple of operations in Visual Studio 10 that do consume a lot of memory that involve forms editing. Can you help us with a bit more detail so I can whether this is related to the areas we are already working on a fix or something new. The memory usage impacts both virtual memory usage (which is not affected by the amount of RAM) and commit memory (which is tied to the paging file size/RAM size).

Are you working on web forms or winforms?

Do you have mostly custom controls (or custom page types in web) or standard toolbox controls?

A memory dump would signficantly help to root cause this. If you have Windows Error Reporting bucket IDs for the visual studio crashes you experienced, we would be able to root cause this pretty easily. The bucket ID can be found in Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application->Source : Windows Error Reporting. The entry would have a fault bucket ID which can help us a lot.

And, I do apologize for the bad experience you are having with this core scenario. We are actively working to fix this.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:41 PM
  • This happens with Winforms all the time.  I use the Data Set Designer without deleteing the .Designer.cs file first after one or two opens the designer will crash trying to write out .Designer.cs.  This is guaranteed to hapen.  Both utilities are a big pain in the A..!

Moses Newman

Friday, July 01, 2011 5:58 PM