none
How do I move all my source files & project data to the VS 2012 folders from VS 2008?

Question

• I have completed the upgrade/migration of the files and can successfully build and compile, but all the files are still in the old VS 2008 folders. What is the proper way of moving them to the equivalent VS2012 folders?

Also, the migration instructions say to "open the old solution", but SHOULD say, "use the NEW 'Solution Open...' option and browse to the OLD .svn files to open and then migrate the solution."

Doc-OS

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the offer to move the discussion, but I needed a faster answer. I used Windows Explorer to move my files outside the VS folder environment, deleted ALL my new (converted) projects and recreated them using "from existing files" for the source code, then deleted all my old projects. It was slow, but I learned a lot about how VS creates solutions/projects. Next to delete VS 2008.

To answer your question, I use C, C++ and VB.

Thanks again.

Doc-OS

• Marked as answer by Doc-OS Friday, August 09, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Doc-OS,

Once you’ve upgraded your VS2008 solution to VS2012, the project has already been upgraded. If you need to move it to VS2012 folder. Save your new project to the VS2012 default folder please.

If the notification still mentioned you should upgrade, please share your screenshots for me.

Regards,

Samson sun
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:41 AM
  • You have misunderstood. VS2012 created all the proper folders for NEW projects, but did not import all my OLD project files (source code, etc). So when I work on my projects (which were properly upgraded), I am working on code that is still sitting in the old VS 2008 folders. The NEW VS special files (.sln, .suo, .ncb, etc.) are also in those old folders.

I want to "properly" move those files to the VS2012 Project folders so I can delete the old VS2008 folders.

By "properly", I mean that VS should move them so I don't have to retype all the directory names in my Project Properties (include and linker).

Doc-OS

Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Doc-OS,

What is the type of project? And what language do you use?

I will move the thread to the related forum. You will get the professional support.

Best Regards.

Samson sun
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for the offer to move the discussion, but I needed a faster answer. I used Windows Explorer to move my files outside the VS folder environment, deleted ALL my new (converted) projects and recreated them using "from existing files" for the source code, then deleted all my old projects. It was slow, but I learned a lot about how VS creates solutions/projects. Next to delete VS 2008.

To answer your question, I use C, C++ and VB.

Thanks again.

Doc-OS

• Marked as answer by Doc-OS Friday, August 09, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Hi Doc-OS,

I don't think you can upgrade without manually add some missing files. However, you can ask on language specific forum for this project upgrade issue. This fourm only supports Visual Studio Setup installation which is not related to your topic.

For C++ upgrade, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vcgeneral

VB: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards,

Barry Wang

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Barry,

This was not a language-related problem. ALL my projects were to be moved (VB and C++). When I upgraded from VS2008 to VS2012, the installer kept the pointers to the files in the old VS2008 folders, so I could not remove & uninstall VS2008. So I took the  painful route and moved all my source code to a separate folder, then used "add existing" to re-create all my projects. From now on, all my source code will be in that folder (and its subfolders).

Doc-OS

Friday, August 09, 2013 1:18 PM