none
Get latest on checkout ONLY for specific file types?

Question

•  

Is there a way to do this?

The reason is we have product managers putting documents into TFS.  If they forget to do get latest first and go to checkin a word doc and someone else has already checked in.  Now they need to go manually merge the docs themselves.  (This is not shared checkout since .doc is binary, it's just someone checked in first).  So unless they remember to do a get latest every time before they checkout they get hosed if someone else modified.

Get latest on checkout for all files we don't want since we don't want that for developers (and we are usign TFS2005 so can't use the new TFS2008 feature yet anyway).

Seems get latest on checkout should be an optional capability to enable based on file type?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:29 PM

Answers

•  Riham Selim - MSFT wrote:

Get Lastest on Checkout applies to all items in the team project, but I believe that get latest on checkout would not solve your problem as well since two users might checkout the document at the same time, each user modifies it and then they try to check in, in this case one of them will still get a conflict. so you will need to out a checkout lock on the checked out items as well,

Some ideas I can think of, they might be other ways to do this..

- Create a macro that does DTE commands get latest, checkout out, lock, add this maco to the  VS menu and tell the users to use this macro to checkout/

- Try this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/TFSCheckOutGetLatest.aspx, ask users who checkout documents to use it (it will prompt the users whether they want to get latest first or not)

- Put the documents in a separate team project and disable multiple checkouts, and enable get latest on checkout for this team project

I don't think we want to create a document team project and a source code team project for every team.  That would be pretty inefficient I think.

The get latest on checkout I saw but I think that applies to all files but might be ok for the product managers since that's all they touch if it works.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:03 PM

All replies

• Get Lastest on Checkout applies to all items in the team project, but I believe that get latest on checkout would not solve your problem as well since two users might checkout the document at the same time, each user modifies it and then they try to check in, in this case one of them will still get a conflict. so you will need to out a checkout lock on the checked out items as well,

- Create a macro that does DTE commands get latest, checkout out, lock, add this maco to the  VS menu and tell the users to use this macro to checkout/

- Try this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/TFSCheckOutGetLatest.aspx, ask users who checkout documents to use it (it will prompt the users whether they want to get latest first or not)

- Put the documents in a separate team project and disable multiple checkouts, and enable get latest on checkout for this team project

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I think since it's a binary file it does not do a shared lock.  So I do believe get latest version based on a file type of *.doc (or arbitrary type- i.e. .xls, .pptm etc.) would be a very useful feature.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:01 PM
  •  Riham Selim - MSFT wrote:

Get Lastest on Checkout applies to all items in the team project, but I believe that get latest on checkout would not solve your problem as well since two users might checkout the document at the same time, each user modifies it and then they try to check in, in this case one of them will still get a conflict. so you will need to out a checkout lock on the checked out items as well,

I don't think we want to create a document team project and a source code team project for every team.  That would be pretty inefficient I think.

The get latest on checkout I saw but I think that applies to all files but might be ok for the product managers since that's all they touch if it works.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  

I agree with you that this makes a lot more sense since the user will not be able to do the merge easily, I'm adding this suggesstion to our list. Thanks

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:43 PM