in my code i have sth like this:

try{ ......
          CriticalSection.Lock();
          CriticalSection.Unlock();
          CriticalSection.Lock();
    }catch(exception){
         do something here
    }

At the very first CriticalSection.lock(), it will go into the lock() function shown below and seems to hang at the statement in red color. I have placed debug points after the red line but did not seem to even go to 'return false".
    Nothing got to do with my try and catch statement right? I am working in VS 2005. Previously without the try and catch statement,  program was working fine.

inline bool Lock(const DWORD& dwMilliseconds = INFINITE){
            if (::InterlockedCompareExchange(&m_lLockCount, 1, 0) == 0){
                m_dwThreadID = ::GetCurrentThreadId();
                return true;
            }

if (m_dwThreadID == ::GetCurrentThreadId()){
                ++m_lLockCount;
                return true;
            }

if (::WaitForSingleObject(m_hEventUnlocked, dwMilliseconds) == WAIT_OBJECT_0)
                return Lock(dwMilliseconds);

return false;
        }

Please give some suggestions, thx.

Atiz
    Monday, December 11, 2006 8:02 AM

Answers

• >Can you confirm that m_lLockCount is initialized to zero when the program starts

Hi peeps, I checked on the value of
    m_lLockCount and realised at that moment, it was returning me a 1 -_-

Upon further debugging,
    I realised that another thread has locked on the data so it couldn't move on and stuck there. :p
    (think cos I made mass changes to the code so some careless mistakes there, I need coffee too lol)

I really appreciate all of your help, thanks alot!

Atiz

Monday, December 11, 2006 9:01 AM

All replies

• "Nothing got to do with my try and catch statement right?"

Well, you can remove the try/catch and see if it works or not.

However I'm concerned with the corectness of this Lock function. InterlockedCompareExchange returns the original value of m_lLockCount so if m_lLockCount is 0 and 2 threads execute the if at the same time the if statement will be entered and m_dwThreadID will be assigned by both of the threads resulting in both threads being in the CriticalSection at the same time.

Monday, December 11, 2006 8:28 AM
  • Can you confirm that m_lLockCount is initialized to zero when the program starts and the m_hEventUnlocked event is correctly signaled in your Unlock function? Is the second Lock before catch necessary? Why do not use critical sections or mutexes provided by Windows?

Monday, December 11, 2006 8:29 AM
  •  Mike Danes wrote:

[...] InterlockedCompareExchange returns the original value of m_lLockCount so if m_lLockCount is 0 and 2 threads execute the if at the same time the if statement will be entered [...]

(I think only one thread will receive 0 from atomic InterlockedCompareExchange. The other thread will receive 1 exchanged by the first thread).

Monday, December 11, 2006 8:38 AM
  • Right, it's reading the original value inside the "interlocked" section... I need to get my cofee... :)
    Monday, December 11, 2006 8:40 AM
  • >Can you confirm that m_lLockCount is initialized to zero when the program starts

Hi peeps, I checked on the value of
    m_lLockCount and realised at that moment, it was returning me a 1 -_-

Upon further debugging,
    I realised that another thread has locked on the data so it couldn't move on and stuck there. :p
    (think cos I made mass changes to the code so some careless mistakes there, I need coffee too lol)

I really appreciate all of your help, thanks alot!

Atiz

Monday, December 11, 2006 9:01 AM